anyone else just have fear?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by chjones21, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chjones21

chjones21 Well-Known Member

Is it usual to sometimes just feel a sort of low-level fear, is that what is meant by existential angst? A sort of inability to get ahold of your life and then the accompanying guilt and worry that goes with that... is that the 'usual' human condition, or is it not?

It seems so difficult to know or understand what is normal. Or if there is such a thing as normal. Or even if normal is something one should try to aspire to (taking that it exists in the first place).

Sometimes the smallest things seem like 'everest-conquering' challenges. It is all in my head but I do wonder WHY my head is like that, in the first place.

Other people presumably don't find it a massive challenge to go down the street and buy a pint of milk, most of the time I don't either, so why is it that sometimes it just all seems ==== or maybe a better way to put it is, why do I build up a sort of internal Everest that needs to be conquered before I can even get to the stage of walking down the street to get a pint of milk? Is that self-discipline that is missing? Or what they call "will". Mind over matter? It can't be that because the problem IS the mind, not the matter.

Ah well, never mind. Drugs are probably the answer - but not my choice so hmmmm we'll see. A life half-lived, isn't that what they say?

2. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

The unexamined life is not worth living, kudos for examining.

I consistently felt as you do now once, and the way I got over that 'why even bother getting milk?' question was 'So I can continue living to have more fun.' You don't necessarily need a profound bit of philosophy to make your life worth it, just enjoyment. If you are lacking in enjoyment it's adequate to ask why even bother living - in which case I propose you should do it so you can find that hobby or whatever makes you happy.

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

One description of depression I once read was this: depression is when you can't go to the store and buy groceries. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02022007

It makes mountains out of molehills - I'm guessing depression is something you're familiar with, being here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.