Anyone else sick of taking pills?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by worlds edge, Sep 17, 2009.

1. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Lately I've wanted to stop taking everything, simply due to a visceral reaction I have looking down at all these damn pills. I'm curious if I'm the only one who feels or has felt this way...

Here's what I take each day:

=AM=
    01 - Levoxyl (hypothyroidism)
    02 - Pristiq (depression)
    03 - Wellbutrin (depression)
    04 - Stratera (ADHD)
    05 - Adderal XR (ADHD)
    06 - Multivitamin (general health, I guess)
    07 - Vitamin D pill (a pretty large dose, on orders from my wife & her feelings about ozone depletion, of all things)
    08- low dose aspirin (cholesterol level)
    09 - Psyllium seed husk capsule (constipation)

=PM=
    10 - Wellbutrin - 2nd dose (depression)
    11 - Stratera - 2nd dose (ADHD)

11 pills a day, 77 pills a week, and who know how many on a monthly and annual basis.

At first I didn't mind, since I actually don't normally have problems swallowing pills. But lately I look down at my pill dispenser each morning and just shake my head. I doubt I'll stop taking anything, but the longer I'm under this regime the more it is making me not want to continue it, if that makes any sense.

2. twc

twc Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a problem for me.

I took meds off and on for years. I'm off all prescription meds now, just vitamins and herbs.

When I was on meds I always felt like I was either taking some doctor's form of speed, or bullshit fake happy pills. (I don't have schizophrenia or bpd so I didn't have to worry about voices or mania.)

And then there are the side effects. Besides the sexual side effects that everyone hates, I found that after a while I started to lose emotions.

I'm hoping I didn't fuck up my personality permanently.

:frankie:

3. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I get rebellious about my meds. Most of it is about setting up my med box. I take a lot of meds. Mental Health, Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Chronic Pain, and suppliments.

When my med box runs out it takes me a day or two before I can bring myself to set it up again. :unsure:

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Wow. I can't imagine taking that amount of medication. I only on anti depressants (citalopram) and I'm tired of taking them.

5. Vangelis

Vangelis Well-Known Member

I don't take meds anymore, they're just a big bandaid when the problems are only ones that exist in my head and I'm the only one that can solve it. At the time I was taking:

2500MG of Seroquel
    1000MG of Depakote

I hated Depakote, they're horse pills at 500MG.

6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I am getting weened off of the only drug that really ever helped me. Klonopin. Well any benzo has helped. The others I don't need.
    Still on Klonopin for now.
    Neurontin (anxiety)
    Seroquel (mostly for sleep but also for mood)
    just started Lithium (depression)

7 pills a day.

7. flower123

flower123 Member

heya,
    im not on half as much as you but yeh im sick and tired of taking tablets as well:
    AM:
    the pill
    75mcg of thyroxine
    30mg omeprazole

PM:
    600mg of quetiapine. - especially hate taking this one as it takes over my life - i HATE IT!!

i want to stop the quetiapine as i dont like taking it but im worried that they will admit me to hospital.....

wat r people's thoughts?? has anyone stopped takin medication n bin admitted to hospital??
    xflower123x

8. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I'm sick of taking pills too. I almost feel like it restricts my freedom. In this way... I'm reliant on state insurance to provide for my pills. The pills are addictive and I have to ween off them if I want to stop. This mean I have to stay in Connecticut while I ween off because I have state insurance that pays for the pills I'm on. I also feel that I cannot go anywhere because if there's the possiblity of staying overnight I have to make sure I have my pills with me. I am so reliant on my stupid pills to make me function & sleep.. that I can't leave without them.
    It kills me. but without them I shake constantly like I were freezing to death in a blizzard. So it's a lose-lose I guess.

9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I'm sick of taking the ones (EpiVal; bipolar and epilepsy) that turn my stomach into a cement mixer. D:

If I were capable of work, though, I'd have no qualms taking the expensive quetiapine (insomnia, depression, bipolar) - for the first time in my life I can sleep with some degree of normalcy!)

And I have some benzos for panic attacks.

On the whole I don't mind them. After decades of watching my mom try to go off medications, usually ending just shy of her divorcing her husband (who's probably the only reason she's not dead yet) I don't want to fight too badly. My dad's always put up opposition to me taking drugs for anxiety, but this stopped when he went on EpiVal following a seizure and he discovered his mood improved. I've never been able to sleep well until I started with anxiety drugs, and quetiapine makes sleep worries a thing of the past. I would like to get back into therapy as the primary weapon against bipolar... but I've failed at therapy 3 times in the past because of uncontrolled panic attacks, so the benzos are required to even think about treatment. And seizures suck so badly, I had one 8 months ago that fucked up my spine, apparently permanently, so anti-convulsants are very :thumbsup: - and their mood stabilizing effects are bonus!

Oh, those are prescription medications. I'm also on 3x calcium and 3x glucosamine (joints - I have symptoms of osteoarthritis at 21 years old) pills per day and a multivitamin. I don't mind those so much, the glucosamine reassures me so much.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2009
  10. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i've been prescribed quietiapine 50mg, tiny dose, i haven't cashed in the prescription. no way i'm taking that shit unnecessarily.

i take diazapam, 2mg PRN. it works wonders and nobody's worried about me getting dependent i'm on such a tiny dose and only take it when and as i need to. i'm good at regulating destructive feelings without medication and am getting better at it. not that medication ever helped me 4 yrs ago.
    :cool: all i need to do is listen to myself , rest, sleep and i'm gr8.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2009
  11. Sparky55313

Sparky55313 Well-Known Member

I have been on the cocktail for a year now. Depression, anxiety ptsd etc. I still have all the symptoms from before the days of meds. It takes an afternoon to refill the pill box. I've stopped taking most of them but continue the mirtazapine and lunesta so I have a chance at getting some sleep. I used to have a very good sense of humor and I really think taking all those meds in the past has screwed up my brain. My mood stays constant and I have a hard time making the simple things funny like I once used to.

12. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

I am not on any because I refused. The doctor tried to make me take anti depressants and told me that they were non addictive. I told her I enjoy riding my motorbike and cannot afford to have side effects and from talking to people I know that they are hard to get off. Then she tried the "you don't trust me" line, and I told her to talk to the hand, because I wasn't listening.

13. fweeps

fweeps Staff Alumni

omg i hate taking my pills sooooo much...it just seems like a neverending cycle of...try this one..no..try that one..i mean seriously, i think ive been on all the meds thet have. This is what im on now...

AM
    ativan (anxiety)
    prilocex (Heartburn)
    synthroid (thyroid)
    lamictal (anti depressant)

PM
    ativan
    lexapro
    cymbalta
    trazadone
    prilocex
    flexaril
    lamictal

so all together is 15 pills a day for me right now...too fuckin much

14. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

Yes, I am tired of taking pills...

AM:
    Citalopram (depression)
    Multivitamin
    Triple Omega Pill
    Vitamin B complex

PM:
    Lamictal (2 @ 200mg) (mood stabilizer)
    Geodon (3 @ 80mg each) (antipsychotic)
    Risperdal (3mg) (antipsychotic)
    Triple Omega (2)

plus:

Saphris (for hallucinatory emergencies/as needed, like this morning) (antipsychotic for schizophrenia)

15. plates

plates Well-Known Member

:biggrin: you do the hand movement. You know the minute they mention medication, especially unnecessarily things when I don't need it, ( I know when I do need it)like ADs, I just get so agitated, they know this so they back right off or start laughing coyly before mentioning the M word.

16. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Doctor just wants to keep prescribing shit to me.
    -__-
    I don't want any of it. It's not effing helping.

17. dew2little

dew2little Member

a year ago I didn't take any, now I take 26 pills a day
    Ativan 3x a day
    effexor xr 3x a day
    zorcor 1x a day
    tircor 1x a day
    micronase 4x a day
    glucophage 2x a day
    lavaza 4x a day
    zetia 1x a day
    lisinopril 1x a day
    prilosec 2x a day
    carafate 4x a day
    that does not include pain meds taken as needed
    I'm already at the max dose for a lot of those. They just keep saying lets try this.
    no wonder my head is messed up. And to think a year ago I was in the hospital for an OD

18. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

World's edge, I take synthetic thyroid medication too. I know it binds with many nutrients (especially calcium and iron) or is contraindicated with many medications so it is supposed to be taken on an empty stomach. My doctor told me it is best taken on an empty stomach half an hour before breakfast but not at bedtime because it supposedly disrupts sleep and in my experience that seems to be the case.

Dew2little, I've had GERD (chronic acid reflux) for years now and Prilosec or the other proton pump inhibitor antacids were a nightmare of side effects for me. That class of drugs is also suspected of contributing to osteoporosis too. I rely on dietary modification like avoiding carbonated beverages and especially eating foods that ease stomach acid like bananas and figs. Also, I sleep on an foam wedge to keep my esophagus from being damaged by digestive juices all night long.

:arms:

19. dew2little

dew2little Member

thanks for the advice, the trouble with taking so many meds is to stop the side effects of one cause troubles with another. I even asked my Dr to help with a schedule... take some before eating, others with a meal, one I have to take 1 hr before any meds or 2 hrs after. I'm not even sure what normal is now there are so many side effects.

20. betteroffunknown

betteroffunknown Well-Known Member

i was sick of taking meds especially when they didn't help. so a few weeks ago when i was in the hospital i asked the doc to take me off of all of them and he did. now i'm med free for the first time in 15 yrs. it's awesome