Anyone else think drinking is absolutely taboo?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by TheBLA, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I just can't see the allure in it. I am apparently, the crazy one for refusing to drink alcohol at all, this is especially when I live in the West where drinking is accepted and maybe even required to be socially accepted in some circles. I just feel it is absolutely filthy, there is nothing good to it at all and everyone who drinks is disgusting. Why would I PAY money to kill brain-cells, to lose control over myself, to become impaired? Just because all the other idiots are doing it and I have to do it to fit in with them? What kind of crazy world do I live in where this behavior is not only normal but encouraged?

I know that all sounds so extreme and I must be a lunatic. I guess I got this phobia from several times when my dad over-drank and did dangerous and stupid things. So I vowed never to drink alcohol ever in my entire life. I have only drank one time a few months ago, one margarita and I feel just so disgusted and sinful for doing it. I wish I could turn back the clock and have never drunk the fucking thing. I can't believe I broke that promise from a little, stupid peer pressure and I hope I'll never do it again. God, I feel so dirty.

Does anybody else feel the way I do?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2010
  2. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I don't drink simply because I don't like the taste of alcohol and I don't enjoy being drunk.
  3. kote

kote Account Closed

my wife never drinks.

she doesnt like the feeling and sees it as a waste.

i only drink on social occassions which are few and far between every 3 months or so.

but now with diabetes i have to watch it closely or stop it completely.

but i can appreciate those who choose not to as you really are pissing your money away.
  4. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I never touched alcohol for many years but in the past couple of months I have been having one beer or a glass of wine every night just to take the edge off of my nerves or my depression or both. This is really Russian roulette with the stupendous amount of alcoholism on my mother and father's sides of my family.
  5. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

My entire extended family are alcoholics and addicts. I don't see the appeal in drinking OR smoking OR drugs at all... XD
    I've always been known as one of the few 'true' straight-edge kids in highschool and college, but I don't really care. I'm just not interested.

Every other person I know drinks... even my little brother.
    ...even my 10 year old nephew.
  6. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I'm a recovering alcoholic.. I haven't drank much in the past twenty years.. Usually it's at family get togethers..I'll have two or three beers.. But thats my limit..The rest of the year I stay dry...
  7. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

I'm just curious as to why u feel dirty and disgusted and sinful for just having had one drink...You clearly didnt lose control of your self and u didnt do stupid and dangerous things cause u had one drink (unlike your father)...what im saying is dont be so hard on urself as u clearly handled having one drink better than ur father ever did and u know that the next time when ur in that situation u will just say no thanks. Yes u broke ur promise with yourself to never have a drink but Im thinking u made that promise to urself cause u didnt wanna be like ur dad, and clearly your werent even close to being anything like him when it comes to having a drink...
  8. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I don't normally drink much, but I don't judge people who do. I may occasionally have a drink if I feel like it, but in my 30 years of existence, I've NEVER been drunk before. :drunk:
  9. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I remember writing something when I was 17 about 'drunk people.' I think I got drunk on whatever fizzy stuff I was drinking at that time anyways. :D

I had my first drink last year and it was all to do with self medicating because I wasn't dissociating as much, and I'm liking a little now and then to relax me- it's great. I actually spent a while looking at the wine section in the supermarket today. I can't handle too much tho'.
    I've probably been the most drunken/drugged straight-edged person with the mania/floating I went/go through.

I had a thing about the peer pressure at school, yeah. It just seemed like everyone was jumping the bandwagon and I just didn't get it- maybe because I didn't need it anyway :yay:
  10. boo

boo Well-Known Member

It was a "cool" thing to hang out with friends and get drunk. I remember all the 40's we drank as a teen. I absolutely hate alcohol. I could never finish a 40. But i don't think it's taboo.
  11. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

As with other things, good in moderation. I don't consider it to be a taboo in my life.
  12. savetoniqht

savetoniqht Well-Known Member

I don't really agree. I mean I see where you're coming from, but I don't see anything wrong with drinking. My group of friends is very into drinking and partying, but I have friends who don't drink and they're not any less accepted. Drinking because you feel like you have to is one thing, but as long as you don't overuse I don't see anything wrong with drinking sometimes for fun... And I come from a family of alcoholics so I do have perspective. I'm very careful and I don't see anything wrong with letting loose and enjoying yourself with a few drinks once in a while. But that's just my opinion.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.