Anyone else think mentally ill people are nicer than regular people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

feathers

Just the whole discrimination against mentally ill people - personally I find it a bit misinformed. I mean, yeah, mentally ill people can sometimes hurt others when they're out of control, but that isn't always the case, only with specific illnesses.

I find that mentally ill people have lived a hell of a more difficult life than regular people, and, as such, are more grateful for things. They may also be nicer to people because they might have experienced bullying and know what damage it can do, and don't want to pass that on.

There's also the concern mentally ill people always show for their family, perhaps without them even knowing it. How often have you heard someone say they want to kill themselves, but they won't because of their family and friends? Suicidal people can be incredibly, incredibly selfless.

This forum too. How often is there trouble, compared with other forums? Not much from what I can see. Because the people who turn to this forum are usually suffering and, as a result, are nicer people than those who don't know what they have. Even when they're going through immense suffering themselves, on the edge of suicide, they're still here, telling other people that it's going to be okay, even when all their hope is gone.

So *raises glass*, here's a toast to all the mentally ill people out there. Probably some of the nicest people in this world.

Kaz x

Ive noticed that too - unless theyre borderline, antisocial or narcicistic, in which case theyre angry and/or selfish. Just got outta hospital a month ago and most every patient i met was very nice.

nolonger

most people that come from(or are apart of) extremely discriminated groups tend to be nicer....well most of the time lol :P

feathers

Hey I'm in the UK and I'm lovely!

heeeell actually I have borderline traits and you're right I can be an absolute bitch.

But I'm lovely a lot of the time? :)

Avarice

I agree. We have more empathy and compassion for others in most cases and like you said, don't want to pass on bad feelings that come with bullying or being mean to others. I know for me at least, when I talk to people I'm always extremely careful with the words I choose so as not to accidently make it sound as though what I've said was rude or mean.

Trouble with that is when I see other people being picked on or bullied and I try to stand up for them the person being bullied doesn't appreciate it and ends up turning on me too. =\ But it's worth it if some people appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00