Anyone else unemployed?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by lachrymose, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lachrymose

lachrymose Account Closed

Since i don't do therapy anymore, i'll just let it out here.

I've been looking for a long time for a job. I've submitted several job applications and have not received one call back.

I am 24 years old now and the last time i worked was 2-3 years ago. Being unemployed makes me feel miserable because without work, I'm home most of the time. I hang out with my friends usually once a week. But the other free days, i'm just home playing video games and sleeping 23/7. I'd went cold-turkey on meds a couple weeks ago... I'm afraid depression might come back to me if this scenario continues!

Anyway, anyone else having problems looking for work?

2. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

I haven't worked in a year and a half, but I've only been looking for work since January. Tough to find anything in this economy.

3. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Yep.

Unemployed, looking for work.

4. OutcastLonerFreak

OutcastLonerFreak Active Member

I've been unemployed for over a year now. Having problems finding a job. I had one interview but never heard from them after that.

5. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

Because of my anxiety I cant get a normal job...so I'm always at home watching tv, writing, that's kind of my job now since I do get paid but not enough to make a living...

My depression seem to go from bad to worse...I barely have the energy to get up...

6. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

Ive been unemployed for a long time, 1-2 years somewhere in between that. I want a job so i can have my own money, but I know if i get a job im just gonna be paranoid that people are making fun of me even when they arnt, Im gonna hang out by myself in the break room and talk to no1, So am I looking forward to having a job? Not particilury

7. Bubbles_UK

Bubbles_UK Member

been out of work over 2 years....

8. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Me too. Unemployed and looking for a job.
    Decided to go back to college and do an access course (access to higher education/university) because the state of the economy is so bad right now I figured going to University would be for the best, but I failed the preliminary test which gets me on to the course in the first place, so now I'm just sat here wondering what the hell I am going to do with myself. :(

I'm 25 and I was sacked from my last three jobs so I have no references. Life is pretty bleak right now.

9. bright1

bright1 Well-Known Member

I've got you all beat, I think. I haven't had a full-time job since 2002, when I quit my job to write a novel. For about a year I had part-time work writing web content, but nothing else.

Day before yesterday I put in my first application for a job. Another one today. I can afford to be unemployed for about 2 more years, then I'll be at the end of my rope. So right now I'm looking for writing jobs; next year I may have to suck it up and go back to being an administrative assistant, but even that won't be enough to get my bills paid.

Ever thought of doing volunteer work? You never know when just getting out there and helping can lead to a real job that pays. It gets you out of the house, and nothing makes you feel better than helping other people. (It's been scientifically proven.)

10. lachrymose

Well, I hope we can all get some kind of income.

I'd do internships (graphic design/video production), but the ones I've been in had me doing receptionist work, stacking the fridge with sodas, and ordering food for people. it's plenty ridiculous.

11. darkplace

darkplace Well-Known Member

Yep, 3 months now. Still applying for jobs in the midst of being dumped and having to live with my hateful sisters and parents.
    I try and sleep at my mates houses as much as possible and push myself to look for jobs everyday. Somethings got to come up sometime. Guess some of us have more bad luck than others which sucks. I just want to know what i've done to deserve this life. I have no special skills, i attempted uni didn't like it and everyone hates me for quiting wheni knew i wasnt going to be able to handle it. I just want a meaningless office job where i can zone out andtype up letters all day. Enough to pay the rent. Thats all. My dad is a career driven thinker so every day i say i still dont have a job i disapoint him again. Can't win at the moment. All seems a bit pointless. Maybe i should adopt some kids and claim benifit for the rest of my life like most chavs do and live on the goverment. This economy sucks, yet we are all forced to partake in it.

12. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I suppose for some of us starting from the ground up just might be an option. It's definitely feeling that way for me.
    I'm just hoping someone gives me that opportunity. Without experience and transferable skills nobody wants to give anybody a chance these days and I hate that.
    How about seeing what they can do and taking it from there instead! :(

13. Cortez

Cortez Banned Member

21 and unemployed. I was working a short time ago but I am jobless once again. I do hope to start college in the fall though. I'm actively looking for employment of any type of job, whatever is available.

14. ThisIsEvy

ThisIsEvy New Member

Almost two months now. These days a college degree is just a piece of paper if you don't have the 'right' experience. I love how employers throw around the word experience but aren't willing to give you a job or internship in order to get that experience.

15. DropKick

DropKick Active Member

I'm unemployed. but I don't see it as a "plauge" on my life, so to speak. In my eyes, I have always seen my dad work his ass off to provide for my family, and seen him depressed in his work. I have always made a pact with myself that I would rather be poor, to the extreme that I am lying in the gutter, then be misrible in a job that I hate, just for money. I don't see money as a nessisity, I would be poor and happy, then unhappy and rich, any day.

At the moment my life revoles around my girlfriend, and my mates. As long as I have them, money is not an issue, sure I get what ever I can from time to time, to get a long, and when I move out of home, I will need a better income, but until then, I choose smiling over bankroll.

Money is NOT everything.

16. lachrymose

tell me about it... its soo dumb!

17. prakash

prakash Well-Known Member

Hey guys. I am unemployed too. I am 60 and I live in Texas, USA. I am also looking for some part time work. I understand your pain. But getting a job becomes easier when you have positive thinking and are not depressed. Try to defeat your depression by talking to people, writing on this forum, making friends etc. I dont want to lecture to anyone but unfortunately sometimes I across as lecturing. Good luck to everyone. Life is hard but it is worth living.

My favorite author is Russian novelist Fyodor Dostoevsky, who had horrendous experiences. He spent years in prison but when he came out of prison, he wrote a best selling novel describing his experiences in prison. He never gave up. He continued to write even though he was poor and remained poor all his life.

I suppose people like Dostoevesky have encouraged me to always have positive thoughts and never give up.

18. killtomorrow

killtomorrow Well-Known Member

ive been jobless for over 2 years,
    and i need a job but im sure i would eventually tell every to go fuck themselves and quit if i dont get fired after i get my first fuckin' paycheck again.
    working sucks balls!

19. am I alive

am I alive Well-Known Member

Exactly, I have graduated a year ago and still looking for a job. All they ask is experience or million other skills besides, like speaking 5 languages and yeah even with that you get paid poorely. They treat you like an animal,doing test and stuff, searching for new Einsten i guess,bastards...life today is a pure discrimination of any kind,only that is important is money....

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.