Anyone else who had MDD?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Rainfall, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainfall

Rainfall Well-Known Member

I kinda need tips to cope with it. The fact that some if my 'friends' think it's just something you can instantly snap out of and not an, any tips would be great
  2. MisterBGone

I have Major Depressive Disorder. I was diagnosed four years ago. This is what I (& this is only based on my experience) have learned: your friends won't understand it. Not fully or completely. How could they? They'd have to have it in order to know it and feel it. So, while at first some may seem extraordinarily sympathetic and empathetic, what I found was that in the end, when push comes to shove, they walk... You can gain valuable support from friends, don't get me wrong, and this can be an essential building block in attaining greater happiness, but to think that you can convince them (as I so stubbornly and foolishly did) of what it's like to have this thing, probably untrue. Now, your friends might be much more understanding than mine were, but that's where I stand from now on... For if I had it to do all over again, I would never have told a soul!
  3. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

Well... I suppose I could list out the checklist my pdoc gave me for mood improvement. Problem is that checklist is filled with things that I will only care about or have the motivation to do when Im already on the upswing out of a lengthy depression period. She says: vigorous exercise for 30 minutes 5 days per week, do something that makes you happy once per day, maintain healthy sleeping patterns (yeah right), eat healthy.

You could try that stuff if you feel up to it. But it seems to me that the goal is to get into the mindset of feeling up to it in the first place, so... That leaves two things. Meds. Therapy. Meds have helped me. To cope. To put together the motivation to keep on for short increments. To keep stable. As for therapy, I have yet to try it, so I don't know.

Mr.BGone is correct about trying to extract understanding from others. It's not going to happen. Fortunately for you, you've signed up for an account here. There is no shortage of folk who have been there and understand here.

edit---- should mention. I don't have MDD. I have Dysthymia with major depressive episodes.
  4. Rainfall

Rainfall Well-Known Member

Thanks you two, glad to see that some people actually want to help. Any other tips from anyone else would be great too. I best take all I can get.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.