anyone else...

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by emily83, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

anyone else who don't work or anything get really embarrassed when the subject turns to you and you get asked.... so....wel what is it you do?

how do you respond to such comments

for me i either ignore them totally, or just make something up (probably not the best thing to do) but it gets people to drop it

i find when i say something like.. i can't work- it opens up a whole new conversation and it's real tough to deal with all the questions

2. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

Yes! I always dread the question "so what do you do?" My answer is usually something like "I'm not working right now" followed by a few sentences of how annoying it is to be unemployed. I hate that unemployment is automatically associated with unwilling-to-work. There's such a stigma surrounding it! I always feel the need to show other people that I am willing. It's not nice being 25, single, depressed, unemployed, and living with my mum.

I will bend the truth if further conversation is required. I did it the other day at the hairdressers! Of course she asked what I do for a living, so I kind of told her I had to quit my job because I wasn't happy (truth) and move back in with my mum because I wasn't getting along with my flatmate (totally false - I've never even left home.)

3. emily83

glad i'm not the only person..

sucks for me too..

at my age, resorting to internet forums to keep me alive.... what is my world coming to.

*sighs*

4. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

The stigma is part of social norms. People tend to look at us unemployed folks with similar attitudes and approaches to those who wear "hoodies" or take "illegal drugs" - when it is, in many cases, a minority that create that stigma in the first place.

That said, I despise when people think that I am not willing to work. I am open to any available opportunity that I would take a daily 12 hour shift on to develop. But where most jobs that I find these days have a requirement to drive, me being a non-driver, I find that slightly offensive because I am just as capable as anyone else for at least trying.

I don't as much get embarrassed by the question. I would rather people didn't judge me for it.

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

You are definitely not the only one. But good for me I don't get embarrassed too easily. If a stranger or someone I don't know very well asks, I would just respond with 'I'd rather not talk about this', if it is one of my boyfriends friends or some of my extended family, I just tell them straight out that I can't work because of the medications I am on,but I am recovering. But really, it is no-one's business but my own.

6. emily83

as i said before, glad it's not just me

i try when possible.. if someone's about to talk about my life, to try and divert them- because their's really nothing exciting to say about it

7. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I try to steer the conversation in another direction, maybe asking about them instead...hate talking about myself anyway

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.