Anyone ever consider the embarrassment they would cause their family?

Another reason I can’t see myself hurting myself is the shame and embarrassment I would cause my family if I killed myself. My husband and children would be forced to move, etc. So I guess that will keep me here .... for now. Anyone else ever think this way...it’s a shitty way to live though.

Witty_Sarcasm

🦄🦜🧁🌈🌝💖
SF Supporter
I don't worry about my family being embarrassed, because I doubt they would be. I only worry about them being devastated, and that's why I haven't done it yet.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
I also don't find "embarrassment" to be at the top of the issues. Why would someone's family be run out of town because of embarrassment at their family members mental health problem? That's absurd.
But there are dozens of other reasons that you should be thinking of to stick around.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I think in 2020 there is absolutely no shame or embarrassment in having a mental illness.

Would you be embarrassed if you had a heart attack? I presume no. There is no difference. They are both illnesses sometimes not in our control.

Stigma I believe is what you are referring to. Would you judge someone for being depressed and suicidal? I know you by now, you wouldn't, you have compassion and a smart head on your shoulders, not all other people would judge you vice versa too, just the ones with the tiny braincells.

I also don't find "embarrassment" to be at the top of the issues. Why would someone's family be run out of town because of embarrassment at their family members mental health problem? That's absurd.
But there are dozens of other reasons that you should be thinking of to stick around.
Sorry...maybe embarrassment is the wrong word...but I guess I am thinking that because our lives look so ‘perfect’ from the outside, and technically if it weren’t for what happened to me and my issues, it would be relatively perfect, that others would think it was my husband‘s or my children’s fault. They would be shocked. And trust me, I know there are other reasons I should stick around....if only my ptsd, ocd, anxiety and depression believed that....not to mention my guilt and shame,

I think in 2020 there is absolutely no shame or embarrassment in having a mental illness.

Would you be embarrassed if you had a heart attack? I presume no. There is no difference. They are both illnesses sometimes not in our control.

Stigma I believe is what you are referring to. Would you judge someone for being depressed and suicidal? I know you by now, you wouldn't, you have compassion and a smart head on your shoulders, not all other people would judge you vice versa too, just the ones with the tiny braincells.
You are correct...I have more sympathy and compassion for anyone with mental illness than I ever have as I am mentally ill. I guess because I put on such a facade every day In front of everyone, including my husband, that the shock of it all would cause my husband and children to be embarrassed in the sense that others would think it was their fault, etc....
Hopefully, no one here took offense to what I asked...I just did not explain what I meant....sorry,

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
I hesitate to say this because I think anything that keeps you from committing suicide is a good thing. But I've known a couple families who lost someone to suicide and, from those who knew them, there was no judgement, only sympathy, and no reason for them to be embarrassed.

I kinda get it though. I often lie IRL about how my wife died. Rather than drugs, I'll blame it on an aneurysm or something. Not because I'm afraid of being judged, but because I'm afraid she'll be judged as just another junkie.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00