Anyone ever have a good day and then a real shitty day?

So yesterday I felt good...did some stuff, did not ruminate as much and actually enjoyed the day. Today is the exact opposite...all I will say is I do not feel ‘right’....and it is scaring me In some ways. Why would this happen? Living like this just plain sucks....yesterday I had hope....today I am lucky that I do not own a weapon...any thoughts?

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I didn’t mean snotty in my heading....should have said ‘shitty’....
I changed it for you *brohug

Man, yes, totally. It's like being on a rollercoaster, up, down, sideways, down some more, up again... I think it's pretty normal, at least it is for a lot of people I meet with depression or other mental health problems.

The thing I try to do is to remember that feeling when it's a good day. Accepting that there will be ups and downs, knowing you'll get back up to that feeling again. I also think the mood stabilizer I'm on has helped to even out the ride.

I changed it for you *brohug

Man, yes, totally. It's like being on a rollercoaster, up, down, sideways, down some more, up again... I think it's pretty normal, at least it is for a lot of people I meet with depression or other mental health problems.

The thing I try to do is to remember that feeling when it's a good day. Accepting that there will be ups and downs, knowing you'll get back up to that feeling again. I also think the mood stabilizer I'm on has helped to even out the ride.
Thanks for changing that! I am on a medication for ocd...as I think about the same stuff day after day. Yesterday, I said ‘wow, it must be working‘....felt good then today...bam...back to square one....so frustrating. Maybe I need a mood stabilizer...

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
I think it's like that for everyone.. so yeah. I mean, if you're going to have a terrible day that pretty much means it was precluded by a day that wasn't as bad as this one. (except for the people that claim every single day of their lives is utter misery and they're all equally awful etc)

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I'm not sure this will be very helpful to a lot of people (probably not), but it's the kind of thing that helps my silly brain, so I'll just share it. :p Hopefully it doesn't hurt yours. ^^

In statistical terms (don't quote me on this, it's very unscientific writing, lol), a "great" day is significantly different from your "average", it can even be like an outlier, an "extraordinary" day. This means it occurs way less often than the "average" day (depressive day?), so the likelihood of you having another great one on the next day is actually low. It's much more probable that the next day will be average again, and that may feel worse because you've just had a great one, or it can also be an actual "bad" day.

Life is ups and downs indeed. If you suffer from depression for example, the out-of-the-ordinary days will be the good ones, and they will be rarer...

Now what can you do with this boring and depressing information? Well... The good days will happen even if they're less frequent. It's worth waiting for them, remembering that they will occur, and most importantly enjoying them to the fullest while you're having them. In particular, if it makes you more productive, take advantage of it. These good days are what you're fighting for, and they can become more and more frequent, until the average day isn't depressive anymore, but more decent.

Last edited:

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
All the time, I think its natural even for people who have no mental health issues. You take the good with the bad and just do what you can to try and make tomorrow one of those good days, keep yourself busy and focus on something that brings you joy no matter how small it may seem.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I'm not sure this will be very helpful to a lot of people (probably not), but it's the kind of thing that helps my silly brain, so I'll just share it. :p Hopefully it doesn't hurt yours. ^^

In statistical terms (don't quote me on this, it's very unscientific writing, lol), a "great" day is significantly different from your "average", it can even be like an outlier, an "extraordinary" day. This means it occurs way less often than the "average" day (depressive day?), so the likelihood of you having another great one on the next day is actually low. It's much more probable that the next day will be average again, and that may feel worse because you've just had a great one, or it can also be an actual "bad" day.

Life is ups and downs indeed. If you suffer from depression for example, the out-of-the-ordinary days will be the good ones, and they will be rarer...

Now what can you do with this boring and depressing information? Well... The good days will happen even if they're less frequent. It's worth waiting for them, remembering that they will occur, and most importantly enjoying them to the fullest while you're having them. In particular, if it makes you more productive, take advantage of it. These good days are what you're fighting for, and they can become more and more frequent, until the average day isn't depressive anymore, but more decent.
that is a perfect explanation @Auri and for me at least it's true so probably will be the truth for most people....mike...*hug*shake

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
what i do @Hatingmyselfdaily is average my day. i take my pain level, health issues, depression, anxiety, etc. and average them out. in other words most days fall into that range. if my day is better than that i have a great day, and worse of course is a bad day.

i also take into consideration if something good happened. for example i may be having a bad day physically but if i had a great day with my car i consider it a good day. everyone and i mean every person on earth has bad days but almost everyone has good days to balance it out. so i'd say keep fighting for any joy you can find...mike....*hug*shake

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
Not really, no. Just days that are extremely shitty and less shitty, but still pretty damn shitty compared to what they probably should be. Nevertheless, I would say that this is normal to have good and bad days.

anon87

So yesterday I felt good...did some stuff, did not ruminate as much and actually enjoyed the day. Today is the exact opposite...all I will say is I do not feel ‘right’....and it is scaring me In some ways. Why would this happen? Living like this just plain sucks....yesterday I had hope....today I am lucky that I do not own a weapon...any thoughts?
I was having a normal day and then someone called me at work and asked my name and said “shut the f**** up you ugly a** wh****” and I was just called a wh**** in basically the same manner a couple weeks ago by some random person who was stalking me online and at work, after I told them I didn’t want to be contacted by them, then tonight the two people were laughing and it reminded me of all the other times I’ve been insulted for being unattractive or plainly just hated and there is nothing to do except feel bad, how can I be bothering anyone with my ugliness when I work from home alone and I never even talk to anyone

I was having a normal day and then someone called me at work and asked my name and said “shut the f**** up you ugly a** wh****” and I was just called a wh**** in basically the same manner a couple weeks ago by some random person who was stalking me online and at work, after I told them I didn’t want to be contacted by them, then tonight the two people were laughing and it reminded me of all the other times I’ve been insulted for being unattractive or plainly just hated and there is nothing to do except feel bad, how can I be bothering anyone with my ugliness when I work from home alone and I never even talk to anyone
Holy crap that is totally unacceptable behavior. Do you work in customer service? Do you see clients in person? I'm just assuming it wasn't a coworker who said that to you!!!!

If you work from home how can anyone tell what you look like????

Maybe you need a different job? Seriously. I worked in customer service for years and got insulted a few times (we all did), but I would have something quite emphatic to say to anyone who called me wh*** or insulted my looks. The best response to anyone who insults your appearance is "I'm not interested in your opinion of my looks." Or even "You're projecting!!!!" because they are projecting their inner ugliness onto you.

anon87

Thanks for your sincere response. I want to agree, but everything is always used against me and my life always collapses on me. <mod edit - privacy> No one should know things about me, it even sounds simple. I am stuck in my work and home situation until I can change something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00