anyone ever take Neurontin (gabapentin) for anxiety?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by theleastofthese, Feb 22, 2008.

1. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

cause my shrink put me on it yesterday. i'd asked him for ativan for anxiety but he didn't want to put me on anything addictive. so he gave me neurontin. two of the side effects, the ones on the side of the medicine bottle, were dizziness and drowsiness. boy they weren't kidding. i took my first one last nite and slept all nite, not waking up early am like i usually do. and i took my morning one this am and later on was so sleepy that i went back to bed and slept for two hours. i don't feel the awful anxiety as much, but have no energy and only want to lie down and do nothing but sleep.

anyone else taking this, or taken it in the past? did you have these side effects? did they go away after taking it for a while? I don't want the awful anxiety but neither do I want to sleep all the time.
  2. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

Yeah I am actually taking it for insomnia, and it obviously works to help you sleep, as you have experienced yourself...I only take it an hour before bedtime. your doctor probably is trying to prescribe you something non addictive/habit forming.

maybe you could take it only at night and that would control your anxiety enough through the next day?
  3. crazy

crazy Well-Known Member

i was on it a few years ago....i eneded up getting taken off of it cus of the drowsinss...when i was on it all i could/wanted to do was sleep.
  4. bronwyyn

bronwyyn Well-Known Member

I take neurontin, but it wakes me up. My doc prescribed it for depression and anxiety; as a last resort because nothing else worked... but this does! Yeah! Not totally, but it really helps. Helps my chronic headaches too.

The two side effects I do have from it are a bit of diziness and my hands and feet get swollen a lot.