Anyone feeling suicidal due to job loss?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by rocknrollsuicide, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocknrollsuicide

rocknrollsuicide Well-Known Member

That's how I am feeling right now.

Unemployed for the past 2 months, LOADS and loads of job interviews attended, not a single offer made.
    Personal finances draining out quickly, credit card bill increasing and no money coming in.
    Is there anyone else out there who due to recent unemployement situation is feeling completely lost and is contemplating suicide like I do?

I cry myself to sleep almost every night.

I wish my ex bosses to miserably fail for telling me that they could not afford full time staff anymore so I had to leave. They wouldn't even give me a redundancy letter so I had to resign as I couldn't take their bullshit any longer.

Anyone else out there feeling suicidal over lack of income/job/employment?
    Anyone else out there who is not in receipt of any benefits and has to rely soley on their own strenghts to survive this credit crunch shit?

I feel so lonely and hopeless...

I just wanna end this miserable pain. What is the point of all this?

I am so sick and tired of explaining all over again to recruitment consultants (the worst sucking sharks within the sales category ever) what I have been doing, what I am looking for and what my current situation is like.
    I am so sick of going even for a second time job interview and not getting offered the job.

I am so sick of everything.

Am I lonely in my miserable, penniless, worth nothing, shit existence?
    Yes I feel very lonely indeed.
    No hope.

2. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Yeah part of my depression is due to not having a job or a career. Rather than losing it.
    It's rough out there right now, I can't even get an interview because I'm competing against the masses for an entry level crappy job and I'm not trained to do anything.

3. rocknrollsuicide

Hi thank you for your reply.
    Rough out there indeed. My goodness!
    What the hell are we going to do?
    Yes, masses applying for entry level jobs but also recruitment consultants slowing down the whole recruitment process, over-filtering jobs without letting relevant candidates in. I don't have a job nor a career either so I know the feeling very well unfortunately.

Do you have family and/or friends emotionally supporting you?
    I feel lost cause I don't even that...hence why I am here posting on this forum.

4. Aurora Gory Alice

Aint that the truth! Ugh! Recruitment Consultants are my new worst enemy! I've had some seriously nightmareish experiences with them over the past 12 months, so much so that I have given up going to them altogether.

No sadly, if anything my family (and the friends I no longer speak to) make things even worse. My family send me on guilt trips every day about being out of work - like I don't feel bad enough - and I can't afford to live alone, so I spend most of my time locked in my room just to avoid them. I only really come out when they're not in or to use the bathroom/eat/leave the house.
    I claim benefits, but they just about cover my CC debts, so it's almost pointless having them. There's usually only enough left over for a burger and a can of coke at the end of the month! I usually have to evade the train fare if I even do get an interview, that's how bad things have gotten!

I'm totally with you. I feel lost and just at my wits end. Without a job there's almost nowhere to go. I mean, what do you do when you're not earning?
    I'd take to crime if I had less morals!

You said you can't claim JSA (I was just guessing you were in the UK) or any benefits. How come?

5. raincloud

raincloud Well-Known Member

I've been trying to find a job for six years. And I was suicidal BEFORE that.

6. Aurora Gory Alice

How come you've been trying for six years Raincloud? What industries are you looking in?

7. raincloud

I'm a writer and editor. I've applied for approximately 800 jobs (I usually say 600, but it's far more than that). I've worked a few temp jobs here and there, and had two permanent jobs. One I was harassed at really bad and only got because I have disfiguring baldness (it was at a hair loss salon. I'm female) and the other one I got after temping and then I was fired for being depressed.

8. Aurora Gory Alice

Oh God. That's awful. :( :(

9. raincloud

I'm trying to get disability for depression. I have dual US/UK citizenship and I would really like to live in the UK but I don't know how that would work, money-wise. Don't know if I'd get disability there. I could move almost whenever I want, but I've got no money even for a ticket.

10. Aurora Gory Alice

Have you thought about maybe working retail or mcdonalds or something just to get the ticket money?

11. raincloud

I have applied for jobs like that and they always reject me. I've been rejected from countless grocery stores and food places. Now I'm at the point where I have a breakdown if I have to work with the public. I probably could have done it 4-6 years ago, but the stress has just built up too much.

12. raincloud

I even got rejected from working at the coffee shop in Barnes & Noble. They told me I didn't have enough experience -- even though I worked there 10 years ago.

13. History

History Well-Known Member

Unemployment is the cause of me falling into depression and becoming suicidal too. I feel completely hopeless and the uncertain future terrorizes me. The young can pick up if they are willing to take simple jobs but for me, I'm 38 and there is no one out there that would employ me. The tremendous fear turned ugly and I became extremely suicidal for almost a year then found a right med which took away the suicidal urges but still left to be extremely depressed. I still have no hope and don't know how am I going to live on. I don't even apply for jobs anymore because I don't think anyone will hire me given my work record. I just don't know how to live anymore except to lie in bed 20 hours a day. People go on living even though they lose their jobs. For me, when I lost my job, I immediately become suicidal and because of my depression, I can't find the strength to look for a job.

14. rocknrollsuicide

I cannot claim benefits because I had to leave, basically kinda forced to resign. The company I was working for had financial difficulties so they could not afford me any longer. However they were not willing to give me a redundancy letter. I was so fed up with their bullying and bullshit altogether that out of sheer frustration I bloody left. Hence why I cannot claim any benefits at all.
    With regards to recruitment consultants, I had an argument with one of those bastards earlier on.
    Now I am applying for jobs direct to companies.

It's very hard indeed, so bloody hard I can't even begin to describe how difficult it is.

I'm in my mid 30s so the job market is shrinking for me rather than expanding in terms of job opportunities, despite the fact that I have a lot to offer in terms of experience and skillset.

My dream would be to build a business venture creating job opportunities out there, I have more than one idea in mind I would love to develop. The problem is I don't have the capital, nor I know anyone with substantial money willing to back me up on this. Without money you can't do F all....

15. rocknrollsuicide

Hi I am very sorry to hear about that.
    Since you mentioned that you are a writer and an editor, did you check freelance opportunities on line? I saw plenty of boards publishing freelance work for the on line market, if that could be of interest. Let me know and I will dig them out for you and send you the links if you are interested.

16. rocknrollsuicide

Hi sorry to hear what you are going through, I can relate to your story...my goodness if I can.
    What job were you doing before?

17. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear everything has turned out the way it has. I know how hard you were having to work when we last spoke. Don't forget the dream you had. Maybe it's time for you to look into that a bit more. Best of luck in whatever you end up doing.

18. raincloud

Yes, I would be interested. Could you send them?

I realize that the reason I have been trying to work for corporations is that I do not have the confidence to go out on my own. I wanted to be a writer as early as age 5, but once I came to learn about the industry, my confidence shattered a lot of that notion. I'm terrified of "selling myself" and I'm not a good self-promoter. So, I've done some freelance work but not much.

I'm writing a book, though, and I'm actually excited about it. It might even end up being two books because I'm having trouble uniting two central themes. I think it's a good book, and I am very self-critical. I have no income and I hope I don't get too depressed to finish what I've started. I write articles and essays, too. I'll write anything, though -- my last writing job was writing hotel descriptions. Yeehaw.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2009
  19. justafool

justafool Well-Known Member

Writing a book can be therapeutic but the publishing world is just as brutal as every other aspect of the economy.

I wrote a book and had it published with a reputable print-on-demand company. The book came out fine, but my depression has prevented me with following through with promotion and marketing. So the book might as well not exist at all.

I don't want to discourage you from writing. Just be aware that there will be some hard work to do once the book has been written and you need to be sure you can put all the emotional effort into it that you need to.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2009
  20. raincloud

Yeah, I know :(

And like I said, I suck at self-promotion and marketing. I fail at everything anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.