Anyone for a horsemeat burger

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by FrainBart, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21034942

So business (large super market chains) have been getting products from suppliers who have seem to be bulking their beef burgers up with horsemeat. What penalties do you think such things should warrant?

2. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

It may be an isolated incident involved with the different suppliers.

I wonder who found out that it was horse meat in the first place...

'Yeah, I want 300 pounds of your choicest meat, so I can run DNA tests on it.'

3. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

I think one of the main questions to it is, is they also found pig dna in beef products (which they are covering up with the excuse that at the meat plant the machines are used for all meat including pig) either way thats potentially going to anger the jewish and muslims.
    Large supermarket chains shouldnt be doing things like this :dunno:

4. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Kinda disappointing :( I don't know how food is regulated here to be honest, but in theory I assumed each species of animal that is harvested has a very specific and unique process from start to finish. Be it from when the animal is alive, to the slaughter of it, to the processing of that body, to the packaging, to the distribution. Surely in theory we want a process where there can be no cross contamination in the slaughter and packaging of these animal parts.
    I don't even know how this is possible, unless at abattoir's there are multipul species being slaughtered. Be it in different sections, or different times off of the same machinary/manual handeling.

I suppose this is old age meets new age(20years late) demand. I suppose it's expensive and difficult for them to maintain the perfect setup atm. But they do need to. Honesty is what we deserve and ultimately fight for in my opinon. I personally believe everyone deserves to know exactly what you are buying. Especially when it comes to a species of animal. We deserve to know what we are ingesting into our bodies. There truly is no room for wishy washy "it'll be ok" mentality. Just a seed of confusion and deception in the long run that cannot be stood for.
    If you say a product is a certain thing, then it has to be exactly that. The information needs to be open to people as to the source of that product, and it's eventual journey to your local stores. It's a massive series of trust and respect that goes into the production lines, and this is pretty disheartening. But I suppose like most things, it has the potential to be rectified. I hope they don't destroy these people for a mistake, but I do hope that it is corrected. Food is essential, and because this is a basic food, there are alot of less than fortunate people spending their hard earned money on these, expecting without fault that it is exactly what it has been labeled.

Anyhow, i donno whose fault it is. Idk if the supermakret chains have been blindsided, or if they control portions of the production/harvesting setup and have been cutting massive corners.
    We gotta trust establishments, especially food sources. Otherwise... bahhhhh you aint in control of your lives. And ultimately are unaware of the truth of what you're eating.

As for how they discovered this. They do random screenings constantly. It could have also been a whistleblower, or down to some cock-eyed deliberate scheme to create a situation for someone elses gain. Who knows.. Ultimately I hope it was down to screenings. We do need to know though where food comes from and how it is processed incase of an outbreak of something so we can clamp down accordingly. But the main reasons should be just in true honesty so people are aware. Like you mentioned, there are beliefe factors to take into account. Though whatever.. those are just side effects. Believe something or not, everyone has the right to be informed of the travel/processing/lifestyle of their food if they deem it necessary. imo atleast. Welcome to mass slaughter ville.

5. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

I completely agree Sblake. They have excused the content of pig dna because of it being cross contimination (potentially) however there is no excuse for the presence of horse dna, and have found products of which 39% of the meat is in fact horsemeat.

Tesco itself have apologised for this, however could they be apologising that they were selling the products (unknowingly) or could they be potentially taking a part of the blame. Either way. if something advertises the meet as 100% I would expect nothing less.

I do shop in tesco, and I do buy beef products, but I buy fresh meat (ok pre packaged) but I cook everything from scratch I'm not a fan of pre prepared items, so I guess luckily I wouldnt have had this "contaminated meat" But the thought they have done this is causing doubt as to what else have they done, what else could they be lying about.

Its similar to that fish thing that went on a while back, where all the supermarkets were displaying their fish as fresh (what they forgot to include in the fine print is that some of it had been stored frozen for several months in some case... Fresh my arse :dry:

6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I have eaten some of the 'infected' 'beef' that was found to have horse in it. And I am disgusted, will never buy another burger in tesco. If they are advertised as 100% beef burgers, they should HAVE 100% beef.

7. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

It's amazing how many people are sickened by this news - I guess because a horse isn't seen as food so to find out you have been eating one is upsetting. I want to know how horse meat ended up in these products and how they thought it was ethical to pass off these burgers as 100% beef.

So glad I'm a vegetarian. I have to admit that a part of me feels slightly smug to witness the shock of all these people finding out what they've been eating. Slaughtering animals for food is wrong and selfish, satisfying nothing but tastebuds.

8. paulhewson

paulhewson Well-Known Member

"Hey, my burger has marks where the jockey was whipping it!"

9. justMe7

Tesco should add a slogan "Value Horse power included!" :D

Much love xx

10. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

I agree with you, snarrylover, 110%

11. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Two months ago, we had tainted spinach, so nothing is sacred...I thought I was doing the right thing eating so healthy to find out I could have killed myself on spinach salad..

12. 1112222

1112222 Well-Known Member

I'll admit I've had horsemeat and it actually wasn't too bad.

13. justMe7

Has anyone tested Tesco's veggie burgers for uniquorn yet?

Scientist: "Sir, we've discovered horse meat in your burgers." Tesco boss: "Why the long face?"

29% of the meat content in Tesco's hamburgers turns out to be horse?! No wonder they gave me the trots!

A Tesco burger walks into a bar. "Pint please". "I can't hear you" says the barman. "Sorry" replies the burger. "I'm a little bit horse".

Those Aldi horse burgers were nice, but I prefer My Lidl Pony

Shocking news. Tesco own brand value hamburgers have been found to have traces of real MEAT in them.

Horse burgers: I canter believe it. Whinny they going to withdraw the product? I bridle at the very thought. THERE, NOW SHUT UP

Horse meet in Tesco burgers!! Its been in there a furlong time!

Best burgers recipe. Mince meat, garlic powder, paprika, fresh herbs, an egg and fine diced stallions. I mean.... Scallions..

HSE confirm that all who ate #horseburgers are in a stable condition

"Two Tesco burgers please.. hold the dressage"

Just found some out of date burgers " they're off!"

I got fired from the meat factory because I got an e-mail about a delivery of horse meat and I marked it as spam.

Jacked jokes :D

14. Petal

Hahaha sblake , thanks for that.

And Sadeyes, I am curious, what was wrong/in the spinach?

15. A.SoNiC.boY

A.SoNiC.boY Well-Known Member

what ever the fine is for false advertisement. there are many Europeans who will eat horse meat... even if that weren't the case. you cannot torture nor terrify anything you're going to slaughter for eating... the adrenaline surge makes the mean nonviable for consumption, even has ground. you can get all "OMG HORSE MEAT! BUT THEY'RE BEAUTIFUL!" if you want. but that's not even half what you'd in India for slaughtering a cow.

16. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

Saying you can't torture something that is being slaughtered for food is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Watch a video of animals being killed for food, watch as they hang there ALIVE, kicking and whining and literally peeing themselves with fear, watch as pigs that are used to being beaten try and run away when a person comes after them.

17. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I am telling you, when I move, I am going to become a vegetarian. I can't while in my parent's home, because they will ridicule me.

18. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

Wow goodness...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21375594

'Cannot be tolerated'
    The FSA said Findus had tested 18 of its beef lasagne products and found 11 meals containing between 60% and 100% horsemeat.

19. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

It's not the fact that some of these meat products contain a different type of meat that's repulsive. It's that the integrity of the establishments continues to be lacking when it comes to disclosing their ingredients. What other ingredients could they be hiding? Toxins? I would have still eaten the delicious whopper even if I knew it contained horse meat, just don't lie about it. Most people don't even know what's in their local tap water supply. I guess the standards of transparency are too high.

20. Petal

Ah, Vienna...saw that on the news! C'mon 100% horsemeat! Goodness...and skynews says today, brace yourself over the next few days as more results are about to come back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.