Anyone get by without medication?

So meds make me more suicidal. I suffer from ptsd, ocd, anxiety and depression. I am weaning off my last med and it’s torture. Anyone else ultimately get by without medication and just therapy. I really, really feel like ultimately I am not going to make it but I keep trying....running out of steam though.....

Harmony

SF Supporter
I personally have not, but I do know people who were able to successfully titrate off medication without ever having to go back on. Unfortunately, I am not one of them even when there were no exogenous factors present and everything was "situationally optimal". That being said, I have in the past been successful with just medication and no therapy whatsoever.

BarryW

SF Supporter
I have not tried medication yet for various reasons and am somehow alive, but do not take that as an endorsement of that lifestyle..

I didn't take any medication for 20-odd years and was fine. You just have to do what is right for you.
Thanks..,.
I am relatively ‘new’ at all this...3 years. Med after med has done nothing for me other than a good old benzo...which we know cannot be part of the regular regimine.

lightning05

I have tried medicine twice in the past. The first time after an attempt and all it did was lower my inhibitions and make me more manic. The second time I tried I only took it for 2 weeks because it made me SO anxious. Way more anxious than I was off of it. For me personally I have always done better off of medication and with therapy. The right therapist for me in the past has done wonders. I'm not against medication but for me I can honestly say it made things worse. Everyone is different, though, and I still struggle.

I have tried medicine twice in the past. The first time after an attempt and all it did was lower my inhibitions and make me more manic. The second time I tried I only took it for 2 weeks because it made me SO anxious. Way more anxious than I was off of it. For me personally I have always done better off of medication and with therapy. The right therapist for me in the past has done wonders. I'm not against medication but for me I can honestly say it made things worse. Everyone is different, though, and I still struggle.
Thanks.....yes, that’s me, makes me way more anxious and suicidal. What do you have? I have ocd, ptsd, anxiety and depression,

lightning05

@Hatingmyselfdaily I have depression and PTSD. In the past struggled with suicidal ideation but have moved on from it. I have thoughts but am able to handle them. I don't have a diagnosis as far as anxiety goes - that's something new and is a result of recent circumstances.

Best of luck to you *hug sometimes it takes some time to find the right combination

ravens

SF Supporter
SSRIs make me want to kill myself, in fact my only 2 attempts were while on sertraline. they can be scary for some ppl

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
SSRIs make me want to kill myself, in fact my only 2 attempts were while on sertraline. they can be scary for some ppl
Sertraline does wonders for me. I guess they really can have different effects on different people. I hope you do find something that helps (if that is what you wish for) and I'm sorry to hear of your attempts.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I have reduced medicines over the years, up down up down up down. No. I honestly believe I will need them for life but I'm fine with that, its something that is hard to accept at first but its better than being in mental turmoil all the time. I would love to not need them but unfortunately that is not the case.

MosesY

Recovering Alcoholic
SF Supporter
You have to find out what is best for you. Unfortunately so little is known about the human brain that this a simple trial and error process. I could not live without medication. I worked for 3 years to find the right medication for me, I am bipolar.

LonelyHiker

Incidental aka FairWeather™
SF Supporter
Tried a dozen or so different meds, only one really did any good, and it fizzled out on me after five or six years. I've pretty much given up on them..

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
Which medications are you getting off of and why? Typically, it's good to treat mental illness with both medication and therapy. The meds serve as an aid to help subside symptoms, while therapy helps in the long term to give you a better quality of life and learn to live with your mental illness in a way that makes it tolerable and makes you able to function. I think therapy is way more important than medication for this reason, but of course, it also helps to have some immediate relief from the medication in the meantime. That is, if they actually work.

It's important to only make changes in medication with the advice of a doctor, especially if you're suicidal, so I hope you're doing that.

I'm not taking meds, and I'm not in therapy.

I tried therapy for quite some time, but found it to be either very mildly helpful at best and counter productive at worst. I think if you've got something you want to say to a therapist, or you can learn something that will change you, then therapy can be very helpful, but if not, then therapy may not help much. I would say that for you, therapy might be more helpful, since particular events and relationships seem to be a big part of how you feel.

Acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine were really helpful for me, but I'm not getting these treatments either at the moment. Dietary changes, a daily meditation practice, and exercise are my main treatment methods, along with being aware of regulating my emotions and trying to keep a good perspective.

I'm still struggling with low energy and low motivation, and I still have social anxiety, but otherwise I'm ok.

snowraven

The usefulness of meds seems to vary from person to person. Often the biggest drawback is finding the correct one which works for you. Personally the times I was advised to use them they just made things worse. When I was at my lowest point I found more help by talking to people here than I got from anywhere else.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00