Anyone get sick from 2nd dose of covid-19 shot?

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
The brand I was dosed with was Pfizer in the United States.

Some of my worksite coworkers got dosed with Moderna

How diverse coworkers reaction were and mine with our 2nd doses. Some of coworkers and I decided to get it on our own instead of waiting for Chicago to get their shit together through our county health department due to our jobs in LTC sector we were the first group in the tier system.

My 2nd dose was in February.

(1st dose barely felt the injection and tiny soreness knowing I was really injected with something.)

2nd Dose time was 10:15am. It didnt hurt.
I felt a bit of a tickle on the collarbone and my right arm fell asleep while I was napping.

5:30pm. I was hit with a sudden wave of the sweats. Profusely sweating! my entire shirt, sock, underwear, pants was soaked thru and thru I was at work! I could feel the beads of sweat form and drip on the back of my neck. Locked myself in the bathroom as had diarrhea. Was going to call my top boss to find a replacement by 7pm it stopped. I was purely exhausted. So dropped the plan as we were short staffed and I was ok no fever. Changed out clothes. Laid down til sleep overnight shift started due to back pain and all joints hurt. Popped tylenol. Went to sleep. Next day (Thursday) I woke up no pain. Nothing all day long. Friday... hit hard with severe sore joints and back pain, headaches. Still went to work but didnt move unless necessary. Saturday was my off day. I slept all day long feeling pain when I was awake. Sunday nothing. No pain at all. Rested still taking it easy. Monday felt refreshed. No further incidents.

Out of 5 of us. Only 1 had NO reaction at all on our 2nd dose for Pfizer. 1 had severe headache, joint pain. Another had mild body pain. Last one had severe hand and hip pain for no reason.

*drum roll*

Now the moderna group. Out of coworkers reaction now their doses were last week. Some had to call off work due to fevers and throwing up bad 3 out of 7 I know of while 4 had no reaction whatsoever. No one called off on the pfizer doses.

And none of us turned into zombies to my disappointment. ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Now wad wondering if others are experiencing the same reactions

I haven't had the shot yet. I've heard that the second shot can be rough though, and that it's good to plan to have a day off after you get it.

As far as I know, all of the symptoms that you had are known common reactions. That's still pretty rough though. The covid vaccine side effects seem to be rougher than ones from other kinds of vaccinations.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Hi there

What you've described to seem to be the as yet established side effects associated with this vaccine. Like the Moderna variant, side effects are more likely to occur after the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine. These should last for around a few days or so, say on average 5 days.

And none of us turned into zombies to my disappointment.
As of yet, no cases have been reported. However, that may be due to those who were charged to file those reports were unable to do so as they were consumed by Covid-resistant zombies.

Last edited:

Nick

โ˜†โ˜†Admin-tastic โ˜†โ˜†
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I went to get my first dose and was rejected due to a polyethylene glycol allergy. Apparently this would have ended badly *dunno. I treated myself with some ice cream. I plan to get my 2nd dose of ice cream on schedule. In other news, Nick currently is not allowed to get the covid vaccine.

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I went to get my first dose and was rejected due to a polyethylene glycol allergy. Apparently this would have ended badly *dunno. I treated myself with some ice cream. I plan to get my 2nd dose of ice cream on schedule. In other news, Nick currently is not allowed to get the covid vaccine.
Wow. How did you find out you were allergic to start with? Who would have guessed this was in the shot.... huh that's a surprise. @Ash600 is this common in vaccines?

Nick

โ˜†โ˜†Admin-tastic โ˜†โ˜†
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Wow. How did you find out you were allergic to start with? Who would have guessed this was in the shot.... huh that's a surprise. @Ash600 is this common in vaccines?
I've had allergic reactions to Miralax and other products under that umbrella (I'll spare you the details of why I was taking or needed said products). The active ingredient in Miralax is polyethylene glycol. From my understanding this particular allergy is incredibly rare. The people at the vaccination site were on top of it.

After an evaluation by an allergist they said NO you cannot have that vaccine. It's still possible I can get the J&J vaccine, I have to go through one more test in April to determine. It has polyethylene sorbate, which cross-reacts with polyethylene glycol.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! ๐Ÿป
Staff Alumni
I've had allergic reactions to Miralax and other products under that umbrella (I'll spare you the details of why I was taking or needed said products). The active ingredient in Miralax is polyethylene glycol. From my understanding this particular allergy is incredibly rare. The people at the vaccination site were on top of it.

After an evaluation by an allergist they said NO you cannot have that vaccine. It's still possible I can get the J&J vaccine, I have to go through one more test in April to determine. It has polyethylene sorbate, which cross-reacts with polyethylene glycol.
Hope you can get the J&J one!

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Polyethylene gycol (PEGs) are commonly used in the pharmaceutical industry, various molecular weights of which conferring different characteristics and therefore uses. In vaccine manufacture, it's rare to use PEGs. However, both the Pfizer and Moderna variants work by using mRNA technology as opposed to the the more traditional route. In both cases PEGs are used to help stabilise the lipid technology used to deliver the vaccine.

It's rare for allergies to PEGs to occur, but it can happen and it does seem that both manufacturers are currently investigating this further.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I had my first shot of Pfizer early February (we don't have our second shot for three months here) and felt like I'd been hit by bus for three days - temperature, chills, aches, headache, extreme fatigue. My arm was bright red and swollen - I couldn't even bear clothes touching it.
Shit, if the second one is supposed to be worse I'm in trouble *blue

Bradamante

Silent dreamer
I have had Pfizer my 1st shot on last Wednesday and after 4 days I am seriously considering to call my doctor on Monday. Soreness in the arm was rather mild and disappeared in a day, but what it is literally killing me is this massive headache. Now, I don't know how many days the side effects can last, but I am not liking this at all, especially because I am experiencing intense photophobia. I am trying to stay away from the internet articles because my anxiety would just skyrocket. Obviously, if this is getting worse I am gonna go to ER. I hope nothing will go wrong and I will be able to send you a message that everything was okay after all.

Sunspots

Admin
SF Supporter
I felt like absolutely shite for a few days.
I've since been working in vaccine clinics and when patients come in for their second dose we always ask them if they had any side effects from the first. By far the most common thing they say is severe headache. The chances of it being anything other than a bad side effect are really minimal but if your headache is that bad it's always best to have it checked out, if only to put your mind at rest.

I assume you're taking regular pain meds if you're able? And keeping really well hydrated?

Bradamante

Silent dreamer
I have not taken anything until this morning, paracetamol and it did absolutely nothing. This morning the headache is worse than yesterday, which is really circumscribed in the back of my head really, and yes, I am drinking adequately. The photobobia is really bad too, I just am trying not to jump on the wrong conclusions, like I am having thrombosis symptoms. How long do you think I should wait before I call my doc or go to ER? Thank you for your concern.

Sunspots

Admin
SF Supporter
In the UK we have a non emergency number we can call for medical advice. They have doctors who will assess whether it's something that can be managed at home, something you should go to the ER for or if they need to send out an ambulance. Do you have anything like that you can phone?

Otherwise, it really depends on how bad it feels and how worried you are.

Bradamante

Silent dreamer
Hey @Bradamante, just wondering how you're feeling?
Thank you for asking @Sunspots :) Today I went to ER, as my doctor told me to. They did all checks up, bloodwork and all, plus CT Scan and also got a neurologist to see me. They found nothing relevant, telling me that could be still vaccine side-effects that may last longer. They gave me some painkiller to take; if the headache doesn't go away as more days pass, I should consult my doc and eventually return. I hope I won't need to!

Sunspots

Admin
SF Supporter
That's good, it's horrible sitting at home worrying. I'm glad they've checked you over and given you some painkillers. Hopefully you'll start feeling better real soon :)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00