Anyone good with computers?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by ~CazzaAngel~, Nov 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

Is anyone good with computers, I was just wonding if anyone knows much about phishing sites? and what all the person who tricks you into it gets, what info and access, because it didn't specify on wikipedia. I don't really wanna say why, I am kinda paranoid now... but I would greatly apreciate it.......thank you in advance all. ...super big hugs........ :hug: :hug: :hug:

2. wienerman

wienerman Guest

basically they only know as much as you have told them, you have to physically enter information for them to really know anything about you.

3. One who listens..

One who listens.. Well-Known Member

Depends on how much information you gave to them.... It can get very little off of your actual computer, if the person was lucky, they may have your address, and that's only if they are lucky and track your IP....

Odds are, they didn't get anything other then what you told them.

4. LeaveMeAlone

LeaveMeAlone Well-Known Member

the basic rule is if in doubt, never ever click a link inside an email, even if you then do nothing else you have confirmed that your email address is real and active and so you'll end up getting more spam.

Phishing sites are usually fairly easy to spot tho, with just a little common sense, essentially any email from anywhere that needs any information from you, just look it over twice and make sure it's genuine. Have you upgraded to IE 7? it has a phishing site filter built in to help you avoid them.

5. ~CazzaAngel~

Well, it was someone I knew....didn't figure they would send me one...didn't think they had a reason to.

can they after that read you private messages or IM's on yahoo or msn?

6. itachi

itachi Well-Known Member

Nah they shouldn't be able to do that unless they are some technlogical genius

7. ~CazzaAngel~

:eek:hmy: :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy:

8. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

If you internet bank or shop, never follow a link off an email that leads you to a page where you have to type anything sensitive in (anything at all). If you are unsure if the email is legit or not, do what it askes you to do but dont use the link, navigate through the banks actual site instead because its certificates means its protected and authentic (little lock symbol at the bottom of browser).

9. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

When an asshole tries to phish you, they will pretend to be a company like Ebay and wanting your password and username. The company itself will NEVER ask you for your username and password. Also, when you click to the link to type in your info, look at the URL of the website to see if its fishy looking, pardon the pun.

10. Raven

Raven Guest

Follow the simple rules, do not give out usernames, password, e-mail etc. The idea behind phising is simple, I would send you an E-mail saying I am xxx from your bank and we see some weird activity in your account please send me the following so I can confirm its you, bank information, name, address etc. Just don't reply to them. Also be aware of what you download, a lot of stuff out their has keyloggers, and other programs that will log and report back what you are doing on your computer. A really good place to get more information on anti fraud is any bank website aka wellsfargo.com they have a link for prevent fruad and some pretty good guidelines.

Also if you are unsure in anyway shape or form do not follow the instructions of the E-mail call your bank, ebay, website whatever it may be on the phone and explain what you see. Much easier for them to answer a quick qustion then try and restore your idenity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.