Anyone had a psych refuse to show them a report?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by downunder, Apr 2, 2010.

1. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

The psych I saw and have finished with, did a report on me and sent it to my workplace. I asked if I could read it or see a copy, and she won't show me. She told me basically what was in it, but won't show me. I rang work, they said they have to get her permission for me to read my own report. They are going to contact her. I think I will have to apply through Freedom of Information. I rang the union and they haven't returned my call.

2. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

Well from what I understand and working in healthcare here....anything that "she" produces for your chart ( I'd imagine she is putting a copy in there ) you have the right for....all you would have to do is sign a release of information. That' show we do it in the states here and I don't know if you are elsewhere?

Sounds like she wanted your employer to read it before you even get a copy....makes me wonder what things she wrote down that you "might" contest or rebuttal? Expecially the fact that your EMPLOYER is receiving the report...

Would love to know the outcome...

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I would think you have priviledge to your own information and i don't see why she would refuse you unless as stated she did not want you to view it before your work place but that is not right I don't think i trust this psychiatrist much keeping information from you is just not right.

4. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

oh!
    well... truthfully I've never asked to see mine- so I never have.

5. downunder

Work already has a copy. She wouldn't let me see the referral letter to her either (from work). At one stage when she went out to room to check on fees etc, as she was walking out I said, "you can leave my file here with me if you like", but she didn't. For more on my last session with her read here, it is entertaining. http://www.suicideforum.com/showthread.php?t=79148

6. meliisa

meliisa Member

Hey downunder, I have asked to see some of my documents but the docs say it may interfer with treatment. Its pretty harsh that you don't really know what their writing to your workplace but I think its legal. I am looking into how to access my medical records, whether it be through FOI or elsewhere, I emailed a laywer that offers free advise about law related stuff so I can let you know what they say about accessing records when they email back. But if you trust your psych and what she said that would be in the letter, it may be best to leave it as I imagine that the process will be a long one, with the chance of getting your application (to the FOI people) rejected.
    Take care

7. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

Never been in this situation, but with my psych, I was supposed to see my report before he sent it to my doc, but he kept "forgetting" or making excuses for not showing me, and now hes sent it to my doc... I'm not reaaly bothered about seeing it tho so :dunno:

8. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

Luckily I have not had to have a report compiled about me (yet), but I have asked my counsellor if I can see my notes. He said of course I could, but then somehow talked me around it until I forgot. I still haven't seen them!

I'm sure legally you are entitled to see any information they hold about you, but I know that in the UK at least they can charge you any amount they like for the priviledge.

Mim

9. downunder

I got to see it in the end and I am glad I did. I asked work if I could see it and then they called her office for permission, they had to ring a couple of times, then she told them yes, and I am glad I did too. I haven't let my husband see it, it mentioned a previous attempt and extreme eating problem, and said I was evasive.