Anyone have the same problem?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Istril, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Istril

Istril Member

I posted in the suicide portion. A large part of the last 8 years of my life has been overshadowed by depression. It's gotten even worse as 3 years ago I lost my job and haven't found anything fully yet and I search less and less every month.

I don't know if there are any other artists here, or musicians, actors, etc. or even trade professionals, but for me, our work is our life, and when I'm in rock bottom, my work only spirals into shit. I hate working now when before I used to look forward to sitting down to sculpt or paint or model.

How can a person continue living if their livelihood isn't worth anything, and money is running out, with no one to turn to?
  2. yursomedicated

yursomedicated Chat & Forum Buddy

I'm not an artist. But I am the same as you with the depression ruining my life.
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Is there anyway getting a partime job away from your trade until it picks up again. Have you gone on the net and tried to post for jobs there. Put an ad there saying your for hire and the type work you do. Life is hard now alot of people have lost their jobs i hope you can find something just to help you financially Glad you came here just to vent even take care hope you find a job soon. Also have you looked into going on meds for depression if so maybe time to change them up a bit get a therapist to talk to as well. just know we are here anytime take care
  4. Istril

Istril Member

Thank you for the replies :love:

Yea, I've tried now hundreds of jobs for close to 3 years, I've gotten some part-time, but they've lasted less than a month or two, lately there isn't any job that isn't being applied to by less than 100 people daily. The individual chance of landing one is slim.

The worst part of this is the more isolated you get the harder it is to reconnect and go to school, or work, or social activities,and the less you do those things the more isolated you get. :sad:
  5. bright1

bright1 Well-Known Member

I'm a writer and I haven't written anything in months. The last thing I wrote I did in a four-day creative mania, and afterward was in bed for 2 days more depressed than I've ever been. When I got up I called my therapist.

I haven't worked in 7 years. I know exactly what you're going through.
  6. Istril

Istril Member

When I tell anyone also, that this has been going on for 3 years, they don't believe me. It's almost as if your personal value, like a house goes down the more you aren't "in the norm".
  7. usualguy

usualguy New Member

I'm an artist, and also unemployed. But I got another problem - ringing in ears, which makes my working harder. I'm doing a short film, but all this depression puts me down when I think my future is with this noise. All I can hope it will get a bit better.
    Having no work is hard, but at least you are alive and healthy. This is much more important. The recession will finish, I think after a year there will be more job opportunities.
  8. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I can relate to what your saying, I'm an author by trade and lately I havent written anything...its like I dont have the energy to do it...and if I dont write then what else am I going to do? I can't work a normal job and I'm just so tired all the time...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.