Anyone having a severe lack of emotions here?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by the_farewell_kid, Feb 6, 2009.

Does it bother you to feel emotionless?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
  2. Somewhat

4 vote(s)
  3. No

3 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_farewell_kid

the_farewell_kid Well-Known Member

Hi. I wonder if anyone in this forum suffers from a severe lack of emotionality, something like severe apathy. Or is there anyone here suffering from clinical depression (major depression) and still not recovering?
  2. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I'm usually pretty emotionless except for anger.
  3. the_farewell_kid

Lol. Same. The emotion I can express the most easily is anger and fear.
  4. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

I haven't felt any sort of emotion for the past year or so.

I didn't even feel fear when I tried to kill myself.
  5. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

Usually just anger and depressed. Everything else is faking.
  6. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

Affirmative on the apathetic thing.

I'm not really in that stage right now, but I have been, and I know exactly what you're talking about.
    When I go into that kind of stage I feel like I'd rather be depressed than feel nothing at all ...

Not sure which is worse :p
  7. HOW

HOW Well-Known Member

I feel a lot of sorrow, anger, fear. I feel them really strongly but other emotions I don't feel at all, so that's why most people don't think of me of being emotional.
  8. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I have been empty inside for years. I tell my daughter and grandaughter that I love them, but when I do I actually don't feel anything. It's like I am already dead inside. Depression? Yes I suffer from seveere depression. No matter what med I try it only helps for a little while and then it quits working. I'm not afraid of death. After three attempts I just get calm and feel nothing. There are some things I fear, but really don't give a shit about them. If they want to take me then more power to them...~Joseph~
  9. the_farewell_kid

Wow. We are thinking alike, Feared.Desire. When I'm severely emotionless, I feel as though I'd rather be depressed than feeling nothing at all.
  10. the_farewell_kid

Yeah. It sucks. It seems that I feel negative emotions more easily than positive emotions.
  11. the_farewell_kid

Hi Joseph. Sorry to hear about your low responsiveness to medical treatments. You're not alone. I'm untreatable either. But please, don't harm yourself.
  12. SweetSurrender

SweetSurrender Well-Known Member

I am suffering from severe apathy - read my other posts regarding it to get an idea of how little i feel. My number one defense mechanism has always been to shut down and compartmentalise feeling, hence why i find it hard to feel anything for periods of time.

Stranger1, i really understand what you are saying. When i was 11yrs i wrote one a scrap piece of paper that i wished people would stop being kind and loving towards me because i couldn't feel what they were trying to put across and i was unable to give them the same in return. In fact i likened happiness to being a teachers pet, which i'm assuming means something to mock. I found that scrap of paper the other day and it really summed up how i feel now. I know i care about my family, and i know i must love them, but i feel so emotionless that i can't really feel it. It makes me feel very guilty, and that i'm missing out on something.
  13. reddragon2410

reddragon2410 Well-Known Member

I am incredibly apathetic. I'm usually either void of emotion/caring, or angry. Occasionally I get depressed, but not very often. And it usually only lasts about 30-60 minutes.
    I remember when my gran died just under a year ago, I felt I should feel sad, I felt I should cry, but I failed completely. I just, shrugged it off.
    And the two occasions which I actually had a girlfriend, I was unable to feel any substantial amount for them. I got told one of them couldnt stop thinking about me, she dreamt about me, she talked about me all the time. And I felt nothing.
    If I try really hard, I can manage some empathy, but I often feel unmotivated to do so.

I even find myself judging people who show emotion. Especially love. And happiness. I've found that I now regard them as fake emotions. I don't know why, I just gradually came to this way of thinking.
  14. Nocturnal Ponderer

Nocturnal Ponderer Well-Known Member

I can't remember what guilt feels like anymore and do not feel guilty about anything, ever, not even wishing death on people I don't like, and genuinely meaning it. I feel nothing. I feel love, but not very strongly, and only for a very select few.

The only thing I feel is a heavy sense of nothingness and emptiness despite having a full life. I seem to have intellectualised emotions to the point where I see them as meaningless, objectively speaking, and fake, objectively speaking, so therefore non existent and unimportant.

Do not ever intellectualise emotions the way I have, because you'll feel empty. I hope to reverse it someday, but cannot seem to right now.
    A defense mechanism perhaps, or just enlightenment and liberation from a restrictive force?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2009
  15. Aleth

Aleth Well-Known Member

I just feel worn out and emotionally numb. I can rarely even be bothered posting on this forum, because like everything else it just feels pointless.
  16. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

somewhat - only because when i am emotionless i feel less human
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.