Anyone heard of Villanova University,PA ?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by wanttodie, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wanttodie

wanttodie Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of doing my masters in computer science from this university. How is this university ?
  2. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

yeah, it is tier one graduate school. good luck!
  3. wanttodie

oh so tier 1 is supposed to be good right ?

wow this is like my dream university as i would get to stay with my sister.

thanks for the help buddy!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2008
  4. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

"Tier 1" has no specific meaning.

Villanova's not Harvard, but it's a reasonably good school. People in the US have heard of it. Pursuing a degree there can be worth the time & expense.

Errum, arrangements like that can be important, but the point of a graduate degree is supposed to be the work itself. Have you looked into the Villanova CS department, and found a professor whose work you find interesting? Have you contacted him?

There are plenty of other colleges in Philly. My advice is to focus on the work itself, first, and only later take into account side issues like living arrangements.
  5. wanttodie

My purpose for doing masters is solely for the purpose a getting a computer job with good pay.It's not like I'm looking for some serious research work nor do I have any specific interest(specialization) in the field of computer science.But the main reason why I chose this university because of my mental issues like social phobia. I want to avoid certain people who bullied me very badly back in college. I feel very uncomfortable around people. I think I would rather attend a lower ranked program and do well than attending a great program and flunk all subjects, under go depression, suicidal thoughts etc. I really don't want to take a chance and waste my parents money.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2008
  6. alison

alison Well-Known Member

I think you're being very smart. The part I bolded is pretty much my life right now. I'm studying at MIT, and even though I study my ass off and am always pulling allnighters and almost OD-ing on caffeine, I barely get D's. Many of the professors, while brilliant, barely respect you and look at you like you're stupid when you ask questions. Oh, and my parents are practically broke now because they give us almost no financial aid. We thought it would be worth it, but I really want to go to grad school when I graduate so I can do research.. but I don't know if I'll even get in anywhere with my crappy GPA. I used to be smart and confident and happy in high school, but that is completely gone now.

Anyways, sorry if I'm whining. But go with your gut, I think you'll really like Villanova. I have a friend who goes there and she loves it. It's a really good school, but it isn't emotionally scarring and the students aren't cutthroat.
  7. wanttodie

I do not think you are whining at all. I want to do some research too but only when I do my PHD after few more years.
  8. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I knew a guy who went to Villanova. It's a great school and I think it's great that you can live with your sister. I know I would be happy to have my brother living with me :)
  9. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I live in the area. It's a great college. I temped there once. They have a great cafeteria, too.
  10. wanttodie

lol I hope I get an admit from this university, I'm worried coz i already got 1 reject.
  11. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

Alison, do you mind me asking few Qs about MIT?
    1. How competitive is MIT? If you had 3.8 GPA and 2100 on SAT in high school, can you survive in the university? I heard it is #1 engineering school in the U.S.
    2. Does going to highly regarded school always pay a dividend? E.g, are prominent employers like IBM, GE, Intel and Microsoft dying to scout you just because your degree is from MIT even if your GPA is very low like 2.1?
    3. If you were accepted to top 50 engineering school and MIT, do you always have to go to MIT because it is such highly regarded?
    I ask these Qs cuz I was often told by people that, "If you get into top schools like Harvard, MIT, and Princeton, you are set for life. You will live life as an elite for the rest of ur life." I just wanted to hear from actual students their direct accounts.
    Thanks for insights.

12. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Hi Hank - I thought it would be easier to PM you my answers to your questions. Let me know if you have anymore questions. =)

13. wanttodie

I got an admit!!!!!!!!:laugh:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.