Anyone here a straight edge

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by pooky, Aug 4, 2012.

1. pooky

pooky Forum Buddy

Straight edge :

1)no smoking
    2)no drinking
    3)no illegal drugs
    4)no sex before marriage
    5)yet having lots of fun

I abstain from all the first four yet I have lots of fun...I am busy socializing everyday,eat healthy,exercise...I rarely use abusive language yet I have lots of fun...I feel like I am truly blessed for I feel like I am the happiest person in the planet , in spite of living a straight edge lifestyle...

Anyone else here in the same boat as me?:smile:

One more thing I do go to parties sometimes,but there I just drink water and eat little food (nothing heavy)...most people of my age(i am 23) smoke , drink and have sex before marriage..but I am not one of them thankfully...

I have a cute gf..done everything..held hands,kissed,cuddled except sex...I feel i am truly blessed for I have a lot of fun and I am getting better everyday..

I know there are many people out there who have made far better choice than me(like not even eating meat..I have to eat egg and meat for my illness..I can't abstain from that due to my illness) that makes you people TRUE straight edge...

I wanna know how many else are there here on SF that are near to the perfect level of true straight edge...:smile:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2012
  2. Samara

Samara Account Closed

I am everything you said, except for the sexual aspect of it. That's something I always thought odd about "Straight Edge" that a person can only be that if they are a virgin? What about people who abstain from everything, after either? Like I am not even dating, not intimate, I haven't been for years.

I also don't eat meat. I don't drink. I do not smoke. I do not do drugs etc...

I do however swear. Also, I don't agree that its a "perfect level" of being straight edge, as I just pointed out, what about people who are not virgins? So am I not "good" any-more because of that? Just a garbage person now?

How about people who just decide not to give everything away to their inhibitions. That might just be a better group. I guess this post I am making is emotionally fuelled, and probably off topic from what you are looking for. I do realize that.
  3. pooky

pooky Forum Buddy

If a person abstain from dating,not being intimate then they are actually saints who spend their time meditating.

You have made the right choice by being a vegetarian and not going 4 drugs,smoke,drink .Great for you.

No, you are not a garbage person...Its better if someone lets them to express their inner emotions,when the people on whom they are swearing has done wrong to her..swearing eases the pain and makes a person less depressed...I wish I had the courage to swear...

Well,in short you my friend , have made the right choice by being a straight edge(including being a vegetarian ,excluding the sexual part)....
    well now i have some frnds at home ...i will write later
  4. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Hey pooky. Congratulations on being straight-edge and having a nice girlfriend. You truly are blessed. You're not going to find too many people here on SF who are straight edge. Remember that this is a suicide support forum and many of the people here are here because they are suffering and use drugs and alcohol as a means of coping.

I am also straight-edge, and like you, I eat meat (mostly chicken, fish and eggs), but I have yet to find a decent girl who I can relate to. Is your girlfriend okay with waiting until you get married, before having sex, because I know some women wouldn't be okay with that.
  5. normaljoe

normaljoe Well-Known Member

I used to smoke. i went 3 yrs straight and then on and off. I finally did quit some time ago I forgot. I do drink, I think its a good idea but I NEVER EVER drink when I feel depressed or even the slightest bit sad. So i normally volunteer for DD or I just dont go out. I never did illegal drungs. (although i disagree with drugs being "illegal"),. I love sex. (sry if that offends anyone.) but my depression really gets in the way of having a relationship. so straight edge not so much but I am really responsible about the first four.
  6. Timewarp

Timewarp Active Member

I smoke but am trying to quit. It seems though that whenever I start to make progress on cutting back and quitting, something major happens that stresses me out to the point where I run out to the store and buy another pack. Getting better at quitting though. Used to smoke about a pack a day, now I'm down to about 5 a day.
  7. Moat

Moat Banned Member

I do not believe that anyone can truly be what is called a 'straight edge'.

Definitely not in my case as well - I smoke, cuss like a drunken sailor (without the grog), have used illegal drugs (back in the day) and lots of fornication.
    Now that is the way to have fun. :p
  8. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

All of the above and more.
    You're not alone.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2012
  9. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

The question is - the motives.....

(Many might think that people of faith are straight-edge because of wanting to earn a good report to get into heaven with...... but, that's actually not the motive. We cannot 'earn' our way there by our good behaviour.)
  10. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

My motives have nothing to do with any faith in any Gods or beliefs like that. My own motives are simply because I was raised to believe that doing what I do is the right thing. I do the right things in life for nobody other than myself. I'm not earning anything other than the feeling I get knowing I have done right. (Have been married 35+ years and a vegetarian the same amount of time - the only time I will swear is if I hit my thumb with the hammer while fixing something... and I am glad that I reserve a bad word or two for times like that!).
  11. slcsportschick

slcsportschick Active Member

Yep, I'm straight edge too, Pooky. All five of the above. So you're not alone in that :)
  12. scarlettdrknss

scarlettdrknss Well-Known Member

i'm pretty straight edge too. never smoked, don't drink, never did drugs, never had sex (not even a boyfriend yet or any kind of intimacy for that matter). and apart from depression i'm doing good :) i am however only 16 and i don't know if i'll fall into bad habits (which i really hope i won't! though other times i don't really care...)
    for me, those aren't rules to live by or a way of earning anything. i just hate the feeling of something controlling me. and if i got addicted to something, i would feel controlled by that object. i wouldn't be able to handle that i think. my parents don't allow me to be a vegetarien or anything, but i did get them to eat less meat.
    and as for cussing, i don't think should fall into the category in being straight edge because in my perspective, they're pretty much only sounds coming out of your mouth that our minds gave a meaning to, like people sometimes use it as a joke on their friends or something and everyone knows it's not meant literally, but in a friendly way.
  13. Ladybugaboo

Ladybugaboo Well-Known Member

No alcohol, no drugs, no tobacco, no promiscuous sex (I have self-respect) --those are the ones that apply to me, so yes I'm 'straight edge'.
  14. ryan.

ryan. Well-Known Member

i have sex, do drugs (illicit), smoke cigarettes, and drink alcohol; so no, not exactly straight edge. i don't want to sound offensive here, but i've often thought that the 5th tenet of straight edge should be not being an overzealous prick. its like a joke i've heard about vegetarians and vegans before (which being a vegetarian i really try not to fulfill) how do you know if someone is a vegan (insert straight edge)? don't worry they'll tell you.
  15. jnick

jnick Well-Known Member

Do you know where the term straight edge was coined, that it wasnt meant to be a life style just one man expressing his current life and what he was interested in? Strangely enough I think it has given people a reason to not participate in said activites, it makes it a hardcore thing and thus alluring. Perhaps you do, but if you don't look up the band Minor Threat and the song Straight Edge. i believe ian mackaye thought that being "straight" gave him an "edge." He has said he never meant to start some sort of cultural thing with it. Hardcore kids then started stupid little violent groups that would beat people up for smoking/drinking etc. No sex before marriage has nothing to do with Ian and I believe he would take offense, well probably just laugh, but no sex before marriage is a CHRISTIAN concept, far from hardcore music and its roots. Maybe you were aware of this, if not you just got a free history lesson.
  16. normaljoe

normaljoe Well-Known Member

I applaud everyone's self control, it surely beats mine.
  17. blackbirdfly

blackbirdfly Well-Known Member

1. I smoke cigarettes (bad habit from the old times I can get rid of. I used to be doing all that stuff, but I've turned straight-edge (no drinking or drugs). The sex part.... eh. I only do it with my girlfriend and we're going to try not to from our engagement until our honeymoon, if that counts?
  18. dvnj22

dvnj22 Well-Known Member

Never considered myself as straight edge, but I guess I fit the criteria. Its not a big deal though cause I'm too big of a dork to try those things even if I wanted to.

My view of a good time is playing video games, watching foreign movies, ice cream, and if things get crazy I'll stay up past 1:00 am.... not very eventful or cool.

I am religious, but if I was - I wouldn't change my moral views. I've believed that virtue has great value on its own.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2013
  19. Sun_Sempai

Sun_Sempai Well-Known Member

MARRY ME! Just kidding, but you are a-lot like me!

I'm straight edge.
    I've seen to much in my life to do any kind of narcotic.
  20. dvnj22

dvnj22 Well-Known Member

Lol, I like you already.

Yeah, a couple of my cousins are drug addicts. Most of my family members are alcoholic, my grandfather was when he got back from WW2 and some of my uncles are also.