• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Anyone Here Been on Lamotrigine?

im currently on Lamotrigine 150mg. its scary sounding but to me so far no issues just nausea and lightheadedness. they will go up slowly but don't be afraid to speak out your concerns. The doctor wont let anything bad happen to you

cymbele

SF Supporter
Been on Lamotrigine for years. 75 mg/day. I don't remember if I had any side effects but I actually went Down from 75 2x a day to 1x/day. I had more of a problem with Effexor. Sorryif this wasn't any help. I have been on these meds for years and since life is good in general the doctor hesitates to change anything.

Sunspots

★☆ Braced for impact ☆★
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I've been on lamotragine for several months now with no negative side effects at all.

I think the main one to look out for is a rash but if you're starting on it in hospital they'll keep an eye on that.

It's probably the least scary mood stabilizer I've been on and the most effective for me.

Angie74

Thank you, all of you, for your feedback! The doctor mostly emphasized watching out for the rash. I already have nausea issues, so I hope it doesn't worsen that. I have GAD, so I'm trying to not drive myself crazy with anxiety. Hopefully, this med proves to be beneficial. Does anyone know what happens if you do get a rash?? Do they have to treat it? I'm thinking they would probably just discontinue the medication. I'm not looking it up on more websites, or I'll drive myself batshit crazy.

Sunspots

★☆ Braced for impact ☆★
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Does anyone know what happens if you do get a rash?? Do they have to treat it? I'm thinking they would probably just discontinue the medication
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's all that needs doing. I have a friend who developed the rash when she started on it. It came up within 24 hours, she went to the ER as she didn't know what to do and they just told her to stop taking it.

I often get nausea when starting on a new med, it's pretty common. But I didn't have when they added this one in.

Angie74

And not helped with sleep. Thank God I'm voluntary, but you're still nothing but a guinea pig in here. If I have treatment-resistant depression, why are we even trying meds, anyway? And the doctor is like you just have to learn better coping new techniques. I could write the book on coping.

And not helped with sleep. Thank God I'm voluntary, but you're still nothing but a guinea pig in here. If I have treatment-resistant depression, why are we even trying meds, anyway? And the doctor is like you just have to learn better coping new techniques. I could write the book on coping.
Are you still taking clonazapam? it’s the only thing that helps me

Nick the Fantastical Duck

☆☆Ducking Fantastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
If I have treatment-resistant depression, why are we even trying meds, anyway?
I would dare say a lot of people here at SF have treatment-resistant diagnosis. Resistant doesn't mean untreatable and it doesn't mean that no meds will work. Many people do finally find that med that makes a difference for them. So that's why they are trying meds. There is endless meds, combinations and new ideas to try so if it means the difference between life and death they want to at least give it a go. While you are in the hospital is the best time, because if there are side effects they can address it immediately.

Sunspots

★☆ Braced for impact ☆★
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I'm diagnosed with treatment resistant depression too. It felt like a constant merry go round of different medications and it felt pretty hopeless to be honest.

I'd tried lamotragine before with a different antidepressant and it did nothing so they put me on a different mood stabilizer which also did nothing. Then late last year they changed my antidepressant to Vortioxetine which seemed to help a little bit but not enough for me to be sure it was the medication rather than just a not so hideous period. This spring there was a supply problem with the mood stabilizer I was on so they put me back on lamotragine. Bingo, within a couple of weeks I felt like the weight had finally been lifted. Don't get me wrong, it hasn't "cured" me, I still struggle and those horrible suicidal thoughts are still very much there but I feel like I can cope with it. I'm now feeling strong enough to make decisions and have the energy and motivation to follow through with them.

Neither of those medications worked for me without the other one. But together they are the right match for me. Treatment resistant depression is a diagnosis they give when you have tried five or more medications without success. It doesn't mean that you won't ever respond medication, just that it's taking longer to find the right one.

Don't give up hope over a clumsily worded diagnosis. There is hope *hug

Sorry to join the Lamictal conversation late but I am on lamictal as well...150 mg 2 x daily. have been on it for about 5 years now with no serious health complications or side effects & the rash warning scared the hell out of me too. I just keep an eye on things & the meds seem to work as well as can be expected. It’s just steady maintenance with psych meds.. for me it’s going to be a lifelong thing.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$95.00
Goal
$255.00