Anyone Here Bite??

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by rpiccola89, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpiccola89

rpiccola89 Member

I was just wondering since this doesn't seem too common among people in my age group (16-21) whether anyone self injures by biting:anyone:. I usually do it on my left hand, wrist, fingers.

I guess it'd be helpful if I stopped and found other worthwhile ways of letting go of explosive feelings, but things like counting to ten, deep breathing, punching a pillow, e.t.c. don't make me feel any better, and in fact make me feel weaker for having used such an ineffective way of expressing myself.
    Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody here who is a self-harmer SIs by biting themselves and how you cope with it. Thanks.
  2. aki

aki Well-Known Member

i do hands and arms, but mostly my lip, really really hard. i go for walks and they makes me feel better. or run really fast or something.
  3. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

I generally don't bite, but I have, not my arms or anything, but I do bite my lip ridiculously hard, only when I can't use other methods of self injury, but yeah..If I had ways to cope I guess I wouldn't hurt myself either, but feel free to PM me if you need to talk or anything.
  4. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I use to bite my lip when I was upset or anxious when I was younger. :unsure:
  5. cayzira

cayzira Well-Known Member

Kinda, but I never really though of it as S/I

I bite my fingernails, and not just a little bit, all the way down. Hurts like hell afterwards (The area under your finger nail is very sensitive) But I dunno, to me thats just normal biting your nails (Like alot of people do) taken a little bit further cos I can't manage to stop myself. From a technically perspective, even normal biteing of the nails could be classified as S/I, but theres a line somewhere, where self damaging behaviour stops being nothing and becomes S/I How bad does somthing have to be to cross that line? If biting your nails isen't self harm, then is what I do? If cutting is self harm, then what about very very shallow cuts, scraches really I guess, are they self injury?

I'm not really sure what I can say that might help you... I guess it's like any other form of self injury, but I guess I'm not the best person to try and give you help with that, if you want to talk about though, I'll be here. Try and stay strong, and try to keep your self safe.
  6. SweetSurrender

SweetSurrender Well-Known Member

Well i'm a bit older than the age range mentioned but i have used biting as a way to SH but as another poster has mentioned i've not always seen it as SH as i usually have done it when i'm out and with people to release my anger or to keep me in the realms of reality....actually that makes it sound a lot like SH! :rolleyes: but i dunno it is different in that it is a method to stay in control of the situation not something i do when i'm alone (e.g. as with cutting). I also dig my finger nails into my skin. It is interesting subject re: where the line of SH is drawn. I often cause bruises with biting on my wrists/hands but i do not compare these to SH i cause when i use a razor or sissors or something external.

I quoted the above because i feel like that for a lot of the things i try to stop me SH'ing and i'm almost glad you used the word 'weaker' because that is exactly how i see it. I'll punch a pillow but i'll stop quickly because i'm aware how stupid i feel but sitting down and cutting i don't feel stupid....

I wish i could help re: stopping. Maybe if you find yourself doing it you can walk away (e.g. to the bathroom) and splash some water on your face or make a cup of tea...anything to distract really. But i'm a big fan of running...pity it is not possible all the time! take care.
  7. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

I bite my fingers when I get bored or really nervous. Never hard enough to wound myself, but hard enough to feel the pain.
  8. MourningAngel

MourningAngel Well-Known Member

I bite my lower lip when I want to feel pain. Either because the pain just feels or when I want to punish myself again and I can't do it i n any other way in that moment.
  9. Melancholy

Melancholy Well-Known Member

I do when I have nothing else I can do. Since I've been trying to stop cutting I've used it more. I guess I feel it's not on the same level because it doesn't scar (though that obviously isn't the point..) and my other methods are more long term like fasting and stuff.

Nothing I can say to help I suppose :sad: But you're not alone in doing it, and it isn't a weaker form of self harm at all. If you want to hurt yourself in any way it's something well worth trying to stop. Wish I could be less hypocritical, I know it's so much harder to stop than it sounds...good luck. The most effective things I've found are to wear myself out physically in some way, by running or something.

10. MourningAngel

MourningAngel Well-Known Member

That's exactly the same how my situationis now and how i think and what i do. Thanks for this thread.
  11. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i used to bite to hurt myself but right now i just like to bite things :dunno:
  12. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

I bite myself all the time, particularly my right forearm or the fleshy part of my hand between my thumb and forefinger. I do it without even thinking about it.
  13. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

I bite my lip alot, like really bite it so i tear chunks of the skin off and it bleeds :/ I guess that isn't healthy though i never gave it a second thought before lol.
  14. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

:eek:hmy: i do that too
  15. Lady Byron

Lady Byron Well-Known Member

you know, i guess it is considered SH. i bite the inside of my cheeks to pieces. sometimes it's so bad my whole mouth swells up and it hurts like hell. i bite my lips too though like most people say and i've actually bitten my wrist before, just to see how much pain i can take. i actually bit through the skin before feeling any pain :unsure:.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.