anyone here have a phobia of gloves?

emily91

I do.

I'm not sure if it spreads to masks, but I am absolutely terrified of gloves. I see people wearing them and run a mile

slight problem when people are wearing them to protect themselves from the virus

anyone got any tips to be less afraid of them?

Sorry that this is happening Emily.

Are you afraid of any type of glove, or just disposable medical-type gloves?

CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) is one of the treatment methods used to for phobias. If you can't see a therapist for this, you might be able to get a book to learn about CBT techniques on your own.

I think there's usually some element of exposure during many forms of treatment.

@Optimistic Goatman , do you want to comment on exposure therapy?

Lisa the Goatgirl

She's less of an enigma now
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
As @may71 mentions, i have a fair bit of experience with exposure therapy. Ironically enough for fear of pathogens that frequently obligated me to wear gloves.

It can seem like a very scary concept at first, having to face your fear head on like that, but in my experience you spend a good while talking out how your mind processes these things, and forming a framework through which you can begin to approach the phobia. A lot of it is around loosening up the relationship between your anxiety and the avoidant compulsions it creates, as well as addressing how anxiety is simply an emotion, that it in itself is not capable of hurting you. And there's discussion of both how fears build themselves up in our heads through us avoiding them, as well as how we can learn to sit with anxiety, which is a surprisingly effective tool for finding ways through it.

And then the actual exposure is done at a rate which you get to control. You never have to do anything that's too far past your comfort zone. So for instance, the first step would likely be just to visualise gloves in your mind. Then maybe to try and be in the same room with some gloves for a couple of minutes. Then perhaps trying to watch as somebody puts the gloves on. And you'd just keep gradually going further with it.

Would you feel comfortable talking about what it is that causes you anxiety with regard to gloves?

emily91

Sorry that this is happening Emily.

Are you afraid of any type of glove, or just disposable medical-type gloves?

CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) is one of the treatment methods used to for phobias. If you can't see a therapist for this, you might be able to get a book to learn about CBT techniques on your own.

I think there's usually some element of exposure during many forms of treatment.

@Optimistic Goatman , do you want to comment on exposure therapy?

all types, I think

and it extends to other things too.. scarfs, coats, jumpers, if it's a cold day outside (raining, snowing, what ever) and I'm out, I won't wear any of that stuff

gets a bit coooold but it's worth it

and it extends to other things too.. scarfs, coats, jumpers, if it's a cold day outside (raining, snowing, what ever) and I'm out, I won't wear any of that stuff

gets a bit coooold but it's worth it
It sounds like it could help a lot if you could get treatment. Are there any barriers for you to getting therapy?

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00