Anyone here have Asperger's?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Rosenrot, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

2. sami

sami Well-Known Member

My twin brothers have Aspergers....

3. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

According to whoever she's seeing, some psychologists has diagnosed my girlfriend as this. She's funny. I ask her out of desperation "Please, kiss me like you mean it." And she'd look off into the distance for a second and say, "Ok. I'm Jason Donovan and you're Kylie Minogue" and I'd just give up and crack up laughing all over the place.

We just don't connect on some levels (levels which are very important to me as I've felt so lonely and unhappy in the relationship) and we both know it and are fine with that. She's so sweet though, very intelligent in terms of she 'knows about things' and very committed and flexible and has taught me just about loving someone unconditionally and has stuck with me through all my stupid relationships and she's generally a bit like a parent to me...

I could be asking her something but she can't concentrate on more than one thing at a time. So it's a bit like I have to wait until she finally comes round to me...

4. Carcinogen

Carcinogen Well-Known Member

One of my friends has a variant of this, so I kind of understand it. fwwl free to PM me if you wanna talk. btw, I love Rammstein!!

5. Beattles

Beattles Well-Known Member

i have it.

6. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed with Aspergers at age 11, I'm always happy to answer questions and offer advice onthe subject so feel free to pick my disorderly brain :p

7. ghostlight

ghostlight New Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

My parents told me when I first started secondary school that I was autistic. At first I thought it was some kind of life-ruining disease, but I now appreciate it because I'm so different from all the 'normal' people. Of course, my weird behaviour has attracted some strange looks and bullying, but that is the one few things wrong with my life.

By the way, I'm not too sure about this, but are autism/asperger's syndrome the same thing? Because my parents said that I'm mildly autistic. What does that mean? :huh:

8. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

Aspergers is seen as a high functioning on the autistic spectrum. Also, I think when people also talk about schizoid-ness there are 2 types the autistic one that overlaps with AS and the one linked to psychosis and schizophrenia. Not that I take much notice of these labels but anyway....

9. Swollen

Swollen Active Member

There is one therapist that I see that has diagnosed me as such. I'm not sure who or what is right (I'm also Borderline Personality apparently). As I read about it, it sounds a lot like me.
    I find it a bit confusing though. I almost feel like a defected humanbeing being diagnosed with Asperger's. I'm not sure why though as I know it doesn't make me any less human. I guess I just feel like it's not something I can magically overcome with the right help so I have to live with it for the rest of my life and I must be viewed as garbage by others.

I'd like to know if there are support groups for people who have Asperger's? And how would one go about finding these groups if they happen to exist? I really have difficulty coming to grips that I have been diagnosed with such.

10. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

^ You don't need to pay the diagnosis any attention. It doesn't need to tar you. My gf doesn't. She's either has "selective mutism" because she can't be bothered to talk in appointments or "Aspergers" or "schizoid" because again, she can't be bothered to engage with doctors but she's always there watching, but people think she's got some mental handicap because she is extremely flat to strangers.

If you're not happy with the diagnosis, that's completely fine. You're as much as a human being as other people. And from our experience depending on therapist, different therapists say different things....

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  11. FireBird

FireBird Well-Known Member

I have high functioning autism which is almost the same thing as Asperger's. The main difference is that Asperger's there is no delay in speech and in regular autism there is a delay. If you met me now, I would act like that I have Asperger's because my autistic symptoms are not too bad anymore. I used to have it real bad when I was young many years ago. If something wasn't perfect I would scream. If something changed I would scream. Basically I would scream about everything. I didn't start speaking much until I was around 5 or so. Now I am 25 years young. I am so ancient!

12. Melmoth the Wanderer

Melmoth the Wanderer Well-Known Member

I think I might have it, but I doubt I could ever get a diagnosis or anything. I can definitely relate to much of the wikipedia article, as well as to other sources I've read here and there about it. For example: I'm sensitive to sights and sounds (I was afraid of the ocean when I was little because of the crashing waves); I talk on and on about certain subjects to whoever will listen; I seem to be completely unable to make or to want to make friends; etc.

BTW, thank you for posting a link to the wikipedia article. It told me why I have a hard time understanding what people are saying to me, though I'm not hearing impaired. An auditory perception deficit might why I have to ask my own parents three or four times to repeat what they just said.

Aspies, unite! :biggrin::tongue:

13. dreamwarrior

dreamwarrior Active Member

I have this and it is a big problem because my family doesn't understand what it is. They want me to take over the family business. Are you kidding? I can't handle something like that.

14. aquila

aquila Member

Asperger and BPD

15. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

I have asperger's as well.. wasnt diagnosed till a couple years ago, didnt even know about till then, sure has put alot of things in my life in perspective, but then again I still fell terribly lost in life.

16. fbug

fbug Member

I do not have it, and the next person to say that I have any kind of autism
    will get booted in the fucking head!!! My life has already been ruined more than enough because of that goddamn bullshit!

17. Atheist Demon

Atheist Demon Account Closed

I am moderate asperger's, I am fixated on music and I had social problems in middle school.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.