Anyone here meditate?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by SAVE_ME, Sep 21, 2009.

1. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

Does anyone here meditate sometimes? I do and I enjoy it quite a lot :) helps rid myself of all this negative energy I have stored up inside of me. Can be very therapeutic. There's usually a lot of meditation tracks uploaded on YouTube, I usually download them and put them on my iPod and then just listen to them whenever things get hectic or just before bed. Anyway, thought I'd post this in HEAL cause it can be good for lifestyles...helps you keep calm and stress-free and all that.

2. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I don't but I'd love to learn.
    Probably need to go and spend a few months in Tibet. Get down to it properly! :)

3. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I've never been able to meditate in the traditional sense. The closest I got was reading a page from a daily readings kind of book and think about it for a few minutes whether I agreed with the page or not.

Sometimes, my mind would not even process the page, others I would be able to consider the information, and sometimes I would say (in my mind) that it is crap.

Either way, I was not thinking about the world or my problems for a few minutes and that would give me some temporary relief.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

No, but I do like the idea of mindfulness. I've been trying to be more aware of my senses which has been good. So when I'm typing this message I'm aware of the sensation of the carpet on my toes, I'm aware of how my fingertips feel pressing against the computer keyboard, I hear the sound of my computer fan whirring, the keys clicking, I used to think too much, used to miss these things.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2009
  5. morfea

morfea Antiquities Friend

I like both - meditation and mindfulness, helps me a lot, especially being mindful of everything I do. Only I tend to forget, so I have to remind myself to remain in present and don't let the tricky brain start his game.

6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I like meditation but I have to use positive affirmations during it because otherwise I just with my loneliness and self-hatred. I usually say things like, "I am loved," or something like that.

7. kemistry

kemistry Well-Known Member

I like aromatherapy. Try perfuming yourself or your surrounding with some essential oils, they are great for calming effect.

OOh, yes, mindfulness too! Thanks for reminding Morfea & Ziggy!

8. morfea

Lavander oil, great for falling asleep, and for moths too:) (seriously)

9. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I meditate. It's part of my religion actually. And lavender is excellent for sleep for most people :)

10. morfea

Anyone tried walking meditation? Just heard of it and it seems perfect for me because I can't sit still and meditate more then 10 or 15 minutes, my mind gets distratcted quickly

11. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I Have no idea. You could try chamomile that helps in relaxing a lot. There is also other herbal teas you could give a try.

12. morfea

Thanks, but I tried those, and if I take a tranquilizer I fall asleep. I'm going to check this walking meditation more. The point is if I just sit (and meditate) my thoughts catch up with me very soon, I have a feeling that the walking meditation might be a nice combination of mindfulness and meditation.

13. Tweet1234

Tweet1234 Member

Ive always been interested in trying meditation but since Im in college and have a room mate to worry about the possibility quickly flies out the door :-/ but can anyone elaborate on what mindfullness exactly? cause it sounds like something i might wanna try!

14. kemistry

kemistry Well-Known Member

If the traditonal method doesn't work for you, then find other alternatives, don't force yourself into meditation.
    Meditation to me is to be in the moment, to be aware of myself and my surrounding, like taking the time to sipping teas, drinking coffees, looking at strangers in a coffee shop, reading a book, sniffing a fragrant flower, or just following through my thought to its end (if there is an end), anything can be enjoyable if you don't rush it.
    Generally I'm prone to depression during night time, but having a jasmine flower perfuming the room right now helps settle my mood greatly : )

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2009
  15. morfea

Mindfullness to me means paying attention to what I'm doing at the moment, if I'm eating I will not think of the past or the future, I will feel the taste of the food, it's smell, enjoy every bite and do that with the first one and the last one, if I'm washing the dishes I'll feel the temperature of the water, the shape of every spoon, plate and pot in my hands and not think of anything else, so basically it means focusing your attention to what you are doing at that moment, not letting your mind slip into worrying about the future or lamenting about the past. This is very short and just basics, but I hope it helps.

16. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

I meditate every morning to help control my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome-induced pain, which is at its peak when I wake up.

17. morfea

When did you start Pedro? And how long do you do it? Do you feel it has helped you?

18. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I haven't been able to calm down enough to meditate lately...
    I used to meditate once a day to help level out my daily social stress, but I have not tried to in the past few months.

When I lived in the city, I went to a Buddhist temple on my day's off.
    I think I'm beginning to miss that place... everyone was very welcoming and I actually felt comfortable there.

19. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

KittyGirl, you already know this, but I'm going to try to drive it home: you should start again. Like, right now, as soon as you possibly can, even if you can't get a good trance.

I went completely insomniac for a while because of changing medications, so I used meditation to get to sleep... It was actually effective, and I find insomnia very depressing, so it was useful.

The problem: I'm no longer insomniac but meditation is still tied to sleep so I fall asleep whenever I try! I'm trying to train myself out of it, having some success, but it's a lot harder than it used to be. I want to do it right now but I'm too tired to do it without falling asleep. :(

20. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i didn't know that this was meditation. i just knew that i had to do this to ground myself, heal myself with the ED and stop myself floating. i do things really without thinking...:mellow: