Anyone here with PTSD?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by evilperson, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evilperson

evilperson Well-Known Member

Anyone? Anyone to talk to when I can't sleep and am being eaten alive by images in my head?:mortdesinos:
  2. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I have, I was diagnosed last fall. I don't know what type but some kind...
  3. evilperson

Oh only realised this forum has different types listed up there. I don't know which one but I'll read through it and self-diagnose:rolleyes: LOL.
  4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i find writing them down helps. or drawing them or anything to get them out of your head. i know that feeling well, really, i sometimes write compulsively. and it's saved my life.
  5. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

I'm sorry! I just saw this.

I have complex PTSD. The intrusive thoughts and rumination (images you're speaking of, the memories/flashbacks) sometimes just about kill me. I've been having a lot lately.

About the only thing that helps is first, like ggg4567 said, writing them out. Poetry is a way to write without actually having to face things, too. If you can't face them to do so (I can't most of the time) I found sleeping helps. No, seriously. It resets you somehow. When the intrusive memories get into your dreams (like mine have been) then that doesn't work so well. I used to draw them out, too. Drawing helps a lot and many survivors use that for a mediium when they can't write or talk. Sometimes walking fast, or doing something physical lets off the energy. Maybe a punching bag! (I tried one of those once and almost broke my hand!) Also trying to focus on something else distracting: maybe an exciting movie, a book you can really sink your teeth into, or doing something online.

That's about all I can suggest, off-hand. I wish you luck.

Edited to add: Sometimes I go so rampantly from one thing to the next when nothing is working I can appear ADHD. So don't get hard on yourself if you have to switch distractions often.
  6. plates

plates Well-Known Member

yeah all those things that brighid wrote, really help me :smile:. i have CPTSD too. sleeping is so important, so is exercise- that kind of agitation can be eased through exercise and it is stress relief.
  7. evilperson

Thank you! I find I can't talk about it because it disturbs me and I always have nightmares.
    But drawing helps. Thank you for reminding me of that one! I might go do that soon.
    Still in flashbacks stage, seem to be very bogged down in this atm:poo:. Thank you for help :) !
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.