Anyone in Uni and on DSA?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by SAVE_ME, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

Hi. Been a while since I've posted here but are any of you here in University and are on DSA (Disabled Students Allowance)? I had an assessment for DSA WAY back in June, and since then I never heard from them again. So what's the deal? Does this mean my application for DSA was unsuccessful? If so I thought they'd at least tell me. If anyone here can help then thanks.

Also, rather than starting two threads, I'll just write this here, but I'm supposed to be moving to the halls in the next week or so and I'm scared! I'm scared I'll end up with people I don't get on with, I'm scared I'll end up looking like a complete retard in front of them since I rarely talk, and I'm useless at things like doing my own cooking, cleaning etc. I got e-mailed a list of stuff I'm gonna need to bring this morning and it had things like tuxedos for formal dinners and balls - :nerves::nerves::nerves::nerves::nerves::nerves: !!!!!!! I'm just totally not prepared! I don't know what on Earth I'm going to do! Think I might just shut myself in my room all year! And without the disabled students adjustments I'm screwed! Ah! Could someone reply here or send me a PM or something? Maybe to share your experiences if you've ever been through the same thing, if you want to that is. I could really use some words of encouragement right now since I'm just totally dreading this! Thanks.

2. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Wish I could help. But Im on disability in the US

Good Luck

3. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Hi Sean,
    I can't really inform on the DSA but if you are really worried your room won't have the correct adjustments call the uni and the DSA people immediately, first thing tomorrow morning and ask. I'm sure they will set your mind at ease.

As far as uni goes, don't panic. It's not as bad as it seems and once you get there you'll soon realise everybody is in the same boat. You won't need a tux just yet but pots, pans, cutlery, clothing, bedding and so on you will need so compile a list (if you want I'm sure those of us who have lived in halls before will help you out by posting stuff you'll definitely need on here!) and get yourself down to your local shopping centre and buy everything in one fell swoop. Hit the Pound Shop for bargains!

Good luck. I'm sure it'll be less scary than you think. :)

4. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hiya, Save Me.

I'm sorry, I can't offer much about your disability claim - except that you might want to call the office/department in charge of DSA claims and ask for an update on your claim's status.

Your concerns about meeting new people, being with some you don't get on with, doing new things like cooking...Those sound like the usual and normal concerns that most people have when they move into residence at uni. Part of the experience is dealing with those very things. You'll get used to it. :)

Your uni sounds very posh, suggesting that men will need a tuxedo. (My uni was not so upscale :( - at least not that I was aware of :laugh:.)

I think you will quite enjoy uni once you get there. It's a great adventure - have fun!

:hug:
    A.

5. SAVE_ME

Thanks guys. I'll give the DSA people a call first thing tomorrow morning and get that sorted out.

6. CAD

CAD Well-Known Member

Seems strange they'd tell a first year undergraduate to bring a tuxedo! You an Oxbridge student?

7. SAVE_ME

I wish! lol It's Bradford....it's for formal dinners and balls though, not as if I have to wear it to classes or anything lol :p

8. SAVE_ME

Oh BTW I phoned the disability office today and the lady on the phone told me she'd leave the center that carried out my Needs Assessment a message on my behalf. So now I just wait I guess, and if they don't get back to me within a week I'll try again. *Sigh* really hate it when you have to natter somebody until they sort things out. It is the Summer hols though so I guess I can understand if some people are on holiday......2 months though :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.