anyone is afraid of driving?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by dreaminghome, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dreaminghome

dreaminghome Well-Known Member

maybe I'm not the only one, feel stupid and cannot tell it out. I'm scared to death of driving but cannot do without.

2. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I can imagine one being afraid of driving if they had a near-miss or just had an accident. About six years ago when I was starting driving, I almost missed an oncoming pick-up truck which sped past a red light and had the chance of killing me there on the spot. I was lucky to have my dad there next to me, screaming bloody-murder in my ear to tell me to slam on the brakes so that crazy guy could drive past.

It definitely comes with very serious risks and consequences but I just don't worry about it. I am confident of my driving abilities and I don't even think about getting into an accident and such. I just don't worry about it, but then I worry about things that most other people don't worry about. Like I am very scared of making marketing calls to people for example whereas many have no problem with it and also right now looking for a job as I am about to graduate from college.

Everyone has things they are scared of which others aren't and can brave things other can't. Driving does seem a tricky subject since it is a very important skill to have, especially in a place with little or no public transportation like where I live.

I hope you can get over your fear of driving, I know its a lot easier said than done, just like me getting over my fear of looking for a job, going to an interview, etc.:smile:

3. fweeps

fweeps Staff Alumni

youre not alone

4. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

It scares me too. I have no confidence in my ability to do anything I haven't done before, especially not in front of some stranger or in a place where I could cause serious damage & harm to myself and others. Even if I somehow did manage to learn how to drive, every day going out on the roads would freak me about because there'd be so many other cars to watch and people behind every damn steering wheel. I just can't stand people. They're unfamiliar and unknown which are two of the things I fear most.

Why are you scared of driving and why do you need to drive? :sad:

5. jhhop

jhhop Well-Known Member

aside from not being able to support a vehicle now, i'm afraid to drive because it makes me more of a target for being stopped by police. i'm not doing anything wrong but being an ex-con makes me very paranoid.

6. plates

plates Well-Known Member

er yeah. my concentration fades without me knowing. so yeah, i'm scared of driving. i'm glad i don't need to tho'.

7. yorkie bar

yorkie bar Well-Known Member

I used to love driving, very confident, and my car was my pride and joy. Then i had a head on car accident last year in which my car was written off, and i hate driving now, especially in the dark. I don't remember much about the accident, although i was having rhe same flashback for ages. I guess thats when my mental state has started in a downward spiral, and i became unable to cope with everything else.

8. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

im a learner... (yeah another one of those annoying people holding you up all the time :tongue: ) and ive only had 8 lessons since feb 09. the first ever lesson my instructor made me drive and not onli that id never driven before and i managed 40 miles in my first lesson (2 hr one) i was scared to death but the lessons got easier and i began to enjoy it. :biggrin:

9. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I hate driving.. My therapist has gotten me back into it.. I drive like grandma Moses.. I usually get behind someone who is doing the speed limit and just follow behind them..My problem is I am always worrrying that I will beakdown in the middle of traffic or my brakes won't work..I know this isn't going to happen but I still worry.. Try doing like I do and get behind someone who is driving safe and just follow along with them..Take care!!

10. dreaminghome

dreaminghome Well-Known Member

I need to drive because I live in the middle of nowhere. Need my car for everything, town is not too far but enough to need a car to reach it.
    I'm scared because I had an accident last summer, it was all my fault and the only one who got damaged was me, but it costed me a lot of money and I lived with almost nothing for months to repay it. I'm so scared to make another mess.
    I am scared to drive on new roads with my car and I'm scared to do long drives with it. And I'm scared to use other cars, don't drive my parent's car anymore but I need to drive company cars but don't want to.:sad:

11. SelfMadePrison

SelfMadePrison Banned Member

I have had a long deep rooted fear of driving.. I have never had a drivers and am 31, I have had learners and driven, but it has caused a lot of anxiety.. I do plan on conquering this though!

12. yorkie bar

yorkie bar Well-Known Member

On the plus side though, no one ever burns me off at the traffic lights. You can see it every time, the car, van or whatever, thinking i'll have them. Oldie, driving a fast car, no chance, it works every time, leave them standing thinking about it, hahahahaha

Thats the only pleasure i get from driving these days hahahaha

13. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

I can imagine myself being scared, and maybe reckless, starting lessons in a few months.

14. TheChatter

TheChatter New Member

Myself and a few of my mates feel the same. I've only just started lessons after putting it off for 11 years!

15. justmeonlyme

justmeonlyme Long Time SFer Staff Alumni

im really scared of driving but no mater how scared i am i am determaned to get my restriced then my full coz if i dont im stuck in this small town with nothing to do

16. r90

r90 Member

I've had a learner's permit for a few months and I'm only really comfortable driving a select few routes. I have a feeling that my driving pisses off everyone else, because I never go over the speed limit and really patient when it comes to turning. Every time is still pretty nerve-wracking to me, hopefully one day it'll be second nature.

17. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I love driving but I have OCD which makes me worry all day long and my "sled" is a total pile 'o turd 19 year old American station wagon with 160,000 plus miles on the odometer. It is loud, it smokes, it leaks (teens laugh at it :hysterical:-great for my self esteem :paperbag: :paperbag: )and would never pass it's emissions test if my mechanic didn't actually substitute another GM car of similar vintage for that part of the inspection.

I am going to cartwheel down the road "Mad Max" style in that pile one day :popcorn: and I sweat any speed over 50 miles per hour. I haven't just gotten a cheap and reliable used Asian hatchback yet because I am always collecting enormous loads of tree limbs to take home for cutting, splitting and stacking for my Dad's firewood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.