Anyone joined a gym to beat depression?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by nicesinging1, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

I went to a gym today to check out what kind of services they offer. It was those membership fee-based type of gym like NYSC, Lucille Roberts, etc. They offer lots of exercise activities including yoga, pilates, swimming, kickboxing and even basketball in some locations.
    I heard so many great things about exercise and how it can help tremendously to overcome depression. They say that by exercising regularly, you start to forget about depression because you feel great, happy and content about yourself after each workout which leads to more productive lifestyle and mindset.
    But here are my doubts. In high school, when I was dealing with severe depression, I used basketball as coping technique. I would play basketball regularly like 3 times a week to overcome depression because I was suffering so badly. But it didn't really let me overcome my depression. I could only forget about depression during playing basketball. After playing, I would still battle deep depression. And that is what makes me wonder if joining a gym will help me overcome depression.
    My Qs are the following for people who worked out regularly in gym to beat depression.
    1. Did joining a gym and working out regularly help you significantly reduce the rate of depression?
    2. Is it as effective as therapy and meds?
    Thanks for insights.

2. Dreamer uk

Dreamer uk Well-Known Member

1. I found doing some strength training has been a help to my depressive state. Putting the muscles under heavy load causes the release of endorphins which make you feel good, plus with continued training the muscles become stronger and larger giving you a better self-image which further brightens your mood. Then you can set yourself personal targets which you can work towards and when you achieve them you will be very pleased with yourself.

2. Meds are very effective at treating depression but they have numerous problems which are not to be taken lightly, physical exercise on the other hand is a very natural way to feel better about yourself.
  3. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Exercising is a great way to overcome depression Hank. You will feel better about yourself and you will get healthier too. At least give it a shot bro.
  4. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

Yes! I could elaborate, but there really isn't any reason too. Yes, getting/being in shape does help depression greatly in my opinion.
  5. Hellite

Hellite New Member

1. I discover a gym near my house 7 onth ago. Best thing I ever did for myself was to subscrube a full year. I was pretty depress and having trouble to sleep and everything that comes with it. Now I go training 4 days a week and sleep like a baby almost every night. I feel good after a good workout like everything that demands a physical effort.

2. Body gives you endorphine to thank you for kepping it in shape. Way better tahn meds because it's all natural. Plus, if you train currectly, you can start building some muscle... and with comes self insurance... and that's priceless.

Only problem with gym and training, you need a lot of motivation and people with depression don't have a lot of motivation. I was like that. I train for 3 months with light results when I injured my shoulder. 1 month with no gym or sports at all. One of the worst period of my life. I just didn't know what to do of my spare time. I was feeling dead weight. Now, I check on Internet how to train effectively with a diet and everything. Now, I don't feel my day is complete without going to gym.

So here's my reason why gym is good:

1. Endorphine = :)
    2. Better self esteem
    3. Helps you sleep like a baby
    4. Give you something to do when you're bored
    5. Gets you in shape
    6. Good diet makes you feel good threw your day

All these only cost motivation, persiverance and time. Trust me, it worths it
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.