Anyone just accept their depression?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by sc01706, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sc01706

sc01706 Active Member

I feel I've accepted depression as a fact of life. My life is just going to work, coming home, eating, sleeping, repeat. My job isn't very hard or rewarding. It's not really stressful but I just don't like working. I'm really pretty lazy. In the past 2-3 years I've gained about 150 pounds. I have no motivation. I can't seem to socialize well. I get along with people but I'm just not good at conversation. I just can't seem to start and maintain conversations with people. Other people at work chat, bond, and make friendships while I keep to myself. I figured getting a job and being on my own would help but it didn't. I never had a girlfriend and I just feel too awkward and too unappealing to make a relationship with a woman. I've just resigned myself to the fact I'll be along the rest of my life an with it comes the mood swings of depression. I pretty much only go out of the house for work and that's it. I'm really not even sure the point of this thread. Just kind of seems like rambling.
  2. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

yeah i understand that.

sometimes im just apathetic to everything.

sometimes i just like a robot.
  3. sc01706

sc01706 Active Member

It seems my moods come and go. When I moved into my new place I was pretty excited and bought a lot of furniture but when I realized no one is going to come over and my life still sucks, I came crashing down.
  4. ExtraSoap

ExtraSoap Well-Known Member

Yerp, I go about life thinking "Yeah, life sucks. what else is new?" The song "Cheer up" by Reel Big Fish basically sums up my outlook on life.
  5. sc01706

sc01706 Active Member

It's more than just being down. I get down to being suicidal. The thought of suicide is actually comforting because I think of it as opting out.
  6. dntwannabhere

dntwannabhere Member

i got lot of ppl rounf me at night but it make it wore because they dont understand so do you really think hving those people around you will make you happy? i think you need to fid comfort in being able to be alone. at least your not craving attention. during the day i am always alone. evn with people or without people my depression is also pointing to suicide and the thoughts but i hve found oone little thing that stops me doing it i dont know how long i will last for but im in same boat and i feel for you life sucks. its eiher no people or annoying ppl that will never understand
  7. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

What you posted sounds mostly like how I feel about my life. I've accepted my depression because I can't imagine feeling any other way. Even when I'm happy, I know that it won't last. Hopefully someday I can feel differently.
  8. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

That's exactly how I feel. I pretty much only leave to go shopping for food when my apartment is bare or for work. Otherwise I stay in my apartment. I can't see why I should go out. Shopping is never fun alone. Its more fun to go out with someone else so you can talk and laugh and try stuff. Alone I just walk around lost and feeling even more alone.

I've accepted that this is my life. It's just not gonna change. I will feel happy, feel like life is worth living again but it never lasts longer then a week. I've often decided this is fate, I'm convinced I musta done something bad in a past life and am bein punished now. :/
  9. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I've accepted my depression so I can work with it realistically. I take my meds, eat mostly nutritious, and get out to do small things each week. I go to church and go to a knit and crochet group. Sometimes I'm okay for awhile, the rest of the time I'm depressed. As long as I can do some stuff I don't feel too bad.

I practice 24 hour living, just for today. I got that from Al-Anon. I try not to look at the past because there is too much horror and pain and that really drags me down. Life beat me down anyway it could and the result is being suicidal. These days I stay around in case my adult kids need to call home.
  10. Sephaus

Sephaus Well-Known Member

I've dealt with depression for over half of my life, honestly it would probably feel strange for me not to have it a part of my life as odd as that sounds
  11. MisterBGone

12. DrNick1010

DrNick1010 Well-Known Member

Exactly how I feel. My feelings for committing suicide come and go and lately they've mostly been kept at bay. I wish I would take more risks and stop having such a low opinion of myself. I almost have a Master's Degree and still feel like I've accomplished less than my friends who only graduated from high school. At least they're in fulfilling relationships with decent jobs and can afford a place of their own. I keep telling myself that life will get better once I have a good paying job and a house/apartment, but I'm sure that I'll still find some fault with myself. That's just how depression works I guess. I'm currently an unpublished writer and until the day I make some serious money off of my number one obsession, I feel like it's just a waste of time. What's the point of sweating years and years of your life away with no payoff whatsoever? And yet, it's such a compulsion now that if I stop, I get even more depressed.
  13. gloomy

gloomy Account Closed

Yeah I think you get used to feeling that way. I always find that it carries over into the rest of my life so I end up putting people off or just being really flat and monotone and distant around them, so they stay away and anyways if someone gets close it would mean having to admit that I've actually been really depressed for a really long time and in a way all the wasted years where I couldn't connect or where there was too much anxiety or whatever are like this huge block just because I can't go back and undo them and it's had a huge impact on my life-- so about the only way I'm ever going to be able to get a normal life is to start completely over and try to hide how I've been living because I know that if I tell anyone then they'll think that something is wrong with me, which I guess is true, but yeah, basically I feel like I have to hide pretty much everything about myself in order to get people to not think less of me, and not being able to be honest makes me feel cut off and resentful and even more depressed.
  14. Fvantom

Fvantom Active Member

what like acknowledge that I am depressed and should look into ways of getting it treated? Sure, Ive considered going back on meds and am looking at several different ways of having it treated

but if youre asking if Ive accepted that Ill never be happy, I couldnt give you a bigger NOOOOOO!!!!!
  15. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

I wish you luck there, because it didn't help with me. But I do wish you all of the best in the world!
  16. gloomy

gloomy Account Closed

Yeah, there's a bit more to it than that.

This is a tangent, but I'm starting to think that the only reason you don't get depressed when you're finished school or have started working is because you're too busy... not because you're actually happy. Eventually I think you just stop thinking about yourself completely... well, unless you're alone-- then you can either become a workaholic or I guess you can wallow in your depression like me.

Getting out of debt helps--it took me a while but when I paid all of my debts off I was able to do a lot more... it was actually weird, though, because you're so used to that hanging over your head and telling yourself that you can't do things or eat things or go places, and then suddenly when you can do all of those things you realize you don't even know what you like to do, or even that it's getting harder to pick yourself up and force yourself to do things... and even when you do stuff, it's still hard to know whether or not you're actually enjoying yourself, because that feeling just isn't there... and in a lot of ways, you just don't know how to be as old as you are...

I'm not saying that kids have it easy but they've definitely got the world's attention, because everyone always talks about what it's like to be that age-- nobody really talks about what it's like to not be young anymore, and to know you're approaching middle age... it's just not a sexy time in your life at all. Seriously, I'm definitely feeling it more at 33 than I was even 3 or 4 years ago... when I basically knew it was coming but wasn't feeling it or seeing it.

Anyways, just some early May cheer for y'all... tick tock tick tock.
  17. Arthur

Arthur Account Closed

18. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I have also accepted my depression after at least 7 long years of it. I feel confident that I can be never cured. So I think, why bother with psychiatrist, psychologists, anti-depressants, support groups, etc? I think its all a simply, utter waste of time. I feel that everyone else can be cured, except for myself. I just feel that I am some rare, special case. I don't mean to sound arrogant nor have a superiority complex. I just think I've ruined my life far beyond that anyone can repair, not even the most advanced mental-health professional in the world.

I just think that I will wait until my festering depression will inevitably keep getting worse and worse until I finally lose my inhibition to attempt suicide, that it will eat and melt it away, and hopefully I'll succeed it it.
  19. Prox

Prox Active Member

I read that some people just have happier personalities than others. I think I'm just not as cheerful-minded as other people, that my pleasure center just doesn't activate as vigorously. I'd like to think I'm a high-functioning depressive, though. I don't usually need to feel happy to live and value life.

Accepting depression as a fact of life only works to extend its length and intensity. A proactive attack approach to it is best if you want to shake the gloom. We humans may not be able to choose feelings at will, but we have quite a bit of influence over our feelings, nonetheless. :S
  20. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I've spent the better part of my life just accepting it. What I can't accept are the things in life that I've missed out on, and I feel that if that void were to be filled, my depression would probably go away on its own.

I've learned to accept my shitty past. I can even accept a shitty present. But I absolutely cannot accept the idea of a shitty future. If I could look into a crystal ball and see the rest of my life revealed within it, and the rest of my life was just as miserable and fruitless as the first half, I would probably kill myself on the spot. I have to keep telling myself that it's going to get better some day. The day that I stop believing that, I might as well start planning my funeral.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.