Anyone like me?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by lebigmac, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lebigmac

lebigmac Well-Known Member

I seem to be a very rare case. While anorexia affects mostly teenage girls, I had the disorder at as young as 10 (went from 75 lbs to 50 lbs in three weeks, and yes I was a skeleton). And I'm a guy. Nowadays, aside from a shitty imune system, weak bones, and having to sleep 12 hours a day, I'm a picture of health. I even stunted my growth for a few years (though I've made up for it and, ironically, now stand tall and weigh more than average for my height). It's been roughly seven years since recovery, and I'm still pissed off at myself for having put my body through that mess. For all I know, my lifespan might be twenty years shorter than it would have been otherwise. Though I had a very stressful childhood, I now realize that if I had just held on a bit longer everything would be fine.

I know I kind of went off topic, and I apologize. I'm just venting here, not writing a college thesis. Getting to the point, I'd like to know if anyone else out there went through something similar. I'd like to hear from anyone who's either male, became anorexic at an unusually young age, and/or is suffering the health effects years later. Further, I'd like to know why you decided to stop eating (this question is open to anyone), as I'm trying to better understand my own motivation. What would prompt a healthy 10 year old boy to starve himself?
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2007
  2. heavenlyjunkie

heavenlyjunkie Active Member

First, I'd like to say that your name does not suggest that you went through an anorexic phase, hehe. Second, i am also a guy who went through the whole anorexia fad. Though mine was not at a young age, it was actually when I was 20 (I am now almost 22). The reason was just that I gave up on myself, didn't want to try to be healthy or happy anymore. As far as why a 10year old would do it... that's pretty unusual, but there are lots of reasons for someone to do it. Most likely as a bizarre coping strategy, or some sort of general confusion in the face of sadness.

I realize this post doesn't help at all, since I'm not a case study, but I thought it was interesting, so........... yess.
  3. Freddy

Freddy Guest

To say the opposit I dont think anyone hates you thats for sure.

I'm the opposite of anorexia I keep feeling I'm too thin and never could put on the weight I wanted to. I always feel embarrass and shameful because of it.

I have weak bones because of a parathyroid tumor and hyper thyroid condition. I'm constantly fatigue all the time and need to sleep alot.
  4. paranoidxe

paranoidxe Well-Known Member

I was actually sort of like you, when I was younger I was lucky to eat 1 or 2 meals a day..."meals" as in one item. I weighed about 120-132 during this time..but it wasn't exactly because I was was more so a fear that everyone was watching what I was doing and I was a afraid I'd make a ass out of myself in the lunch room or leave something on my face or something to that extent.

Since out of high school, in 2004 I went ahead and started working out, bought some weight gainer and various other supplements and added up to 162lbs by the time I was done.

I started again in 2005 after my accident and went up to 180lbs which is what I stand now.

Health wise I wish I would have NEVER picked up smoking, it truely is a demon that haunts you for the rest of your life...I STILL get cravings even after the year I quit.
  5. Freddy

Freddy Guest

Yeah I hate the attention it brings when one is skinny. And somehow one feels that you have to watch all your moves so you dont make an ass out of one self.

I tried the weight gainer but I lost it all over again. But now I have a thyroid problem so I have to take extra care when I'm weightlifting or exercising.
  6. slim_to_none

slim_to_none Well-Known Member

i am not male.
    but i did start young.
    i was involved in a sport where body image and being thin was promoted as the only way to really make something of yourself.
    one of my earliest memories is of trying to throw away my lunch in early primary school as i was afraid of getting fat.
    i was lucky though. my body has suffered very few repercussions from this. i still suffer. but the only thing that is noticable in me is that i have a very low immune system.

i do know of a few boys on other forums who are ed'd. and they find it harder than the girls as it is promoted as a "female" illness, which unfortunatly is so sadly untrue it hurts to even think about.

just remember you are not alone. definantly not alone.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.