Anyone not real religious, but sees a religious thereapist?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by HomerSimpson, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

Trying to get the courage to finally see a therapist, but it is hard to find one that will work with someone that does not have insurance. A friend of mine found one near by called They claim not to push there beliefs on you. I do not want to end up going and there solution is simple as "Give yourself to God and you will be happy". So does anyone go to counseling like this, but is not overly religious?
  2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Just 2 things to mention

1) I once went to a rabbi with some issues but was afraid to open up. He didn't know me or know the fact that I was not religious. He never pushed me toward judaism or god and actually did have some sound advice.

2) One of my brothers who married a Christian saw somebody from her church about marriage problems. He said it wasn't that helpful but that religion was not pushed on either of them as the solution.

***Maybe you could just try and see how it goes. You could probably tell them up front that you wouldn't feel comfortable with any religious issues comong up during your talk. It can't hurt to check it out. I hope they can be of some help.
  3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Yeah I'd say give it a try too. And if it makes you uncomfortable just don't go back.

But it's really the message and not how it's said that matters. Give yourself to God could just be another way of saying let your problems go. I don't know maybe that's a bad example but I'm just thinking that the help you get even if it does include Christian phrasing, the help and support you might get might be helpful regardless.

let us know how it goes
  4. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I have a therapist who's religious. I told her straight up that I don't respond to that type of thing. She was understanding. Religious or not, the important thing is that your therapist listen to you.
  5. anhedonia

anhedonia Member

Yup, you probably should stay away from those who are affiliated to religious organisations then... Cos they can't help it, if that's the background they're from. I think it's important to find a therapist who's just the right fit, you know? Mine is religious, but he has never tried to foist it upon me, and in fact only mentions it when he talks about himself, and says outright that these things may not apply to me etc. Good luck!
  6. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

i do not trust any religious people, especially those who believe in Christ
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.