Anyone on or tried Lexapro?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by HomerSimpson, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

I started lexapro last nite and used 10 mg, and today I have completely felt like crap. Throat feels like it is swollen shut because I have cotton mouth from the lexapro. Also, I have had a slight headache all day, and just tired.

Is this normal even after just taking it one time? The being tired could be from not getting enough sleep, but the other is from the lexapro. Does it stay like this? Should I go ahead and take my second dose tonite? I dread feeling like this again tomorrow.

2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Yes...a few years ago. I must admit that it did seem to work a little after the first couple of weeks of horrible side effects. But I just didn't want to wait for the whole thing to run it's course. I went to short term meds like xanax (lorazepam) for anxiety and stress. But I've heard a lot of good things about lexapro.

3. aki

aki Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've been on lexapro for around seven months. I've gotten no side effects, and I don't think it's helped much with my depression either. What happened to you seems very extreme from just one tablet...I would definitely keep taking them though, as side effects usually get better with time and if it helps you feel better in the long run it'll be worth it. Can you talk to your doctor? They might be able to lower the dosage if necessary.

4. HomerSimpson

What were the side effects you experienced?

5. lachrymose

lachrymose Account Closed

I've been on lexapro for almost a year. and went cold turkey on it. I'm feeling fine now though. The only side-effect I had was waking up in sweat.

Give it some time. The side-effects you experienced may not even be.

As for when I took lexapro I found that it did help with the depression. But to rid depression, you really have to help yourself.

6. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

When I was on it, I didn't feel anything. I had no wierd side effect, or anything. I didn't think the drug was acutally doing anything. Same thing with Effexor, I felt nothing Nothing different. Zoloft kinda makes me feel different so maybe it will do more than those did.

7. HomerSimpson

Actually a friend of mines doctor gave him some samples, and I started taking them. I know I need to go to a doctor, but when you have no job and especially no insurance you are basically screwed. The plan was to start taking them and if they seemed to help than try to go and see a doctor.

8. bright1

bright1 Well-Known Member

I took Lexapro for a few years and did fine on them. I wasn't depressed at the time, but having anxiety attacks. The worst side-effect was the intense dreaming, but I usually enjoyed them. Quit cold turkey after taking up smoking and didn't have much of a problem, although I think that I sometimes have anxiety attacks in my sleep; I wake up feeling very strange.

Now, in order to give up cigarettes, I had to start taking Chantix. A dangerous medication for someone in my state, but I told my doctor I would keep an eye on myself and stop taking them if I got too crazy.

Day 4 and counting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.