Anyone Own Guns? (Possibly Triggering)

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Dave_N, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone else here owns guns? I own a 9mm, a 357 magnum and a 12 guage shotgun. I know in Canada and Great Britian, it is really difficult to legally obtain firearms, but in the USA, it's much easier. What are your views on firearm ownership? Should they be banned?

Finally, for the suicidal gun owners out there, please don't use your guns to kill yourselves. Get help! :smile:
  2. 41021

41021 Banned Member

ummm, yeah.

hahahahha don't use them?
  3. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

In my country they are very hard to get ownership of..
    I think that's a good thing..
    but the criminals always seem to be able to get guns so ..yeah!!

perhaps they are a little too easy to have in some the recent massacres,etc..
  4. Raven

Raven Guest

I have a couple, a couple of shotguns for duck and pheasant hunting, and a .22 for just plinking; really guns are no more then extensions of the people that wish to use them. Those that wish to cause true harm have not used a gun, bombs, airplanes, etc have been used to kill and terrorize people.
  5. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

i have two guns, an old 22 rimfire and a .22 airgun.

They are merely tools, same as anything else. I also rarely shoot despite having them, i only use them when a farmer has a serious problem with pests, other than that i would rather ue my animals to hunt, it gives the quarry a natural chance.
  6. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I have a Beretta 96FS (.40 caliber S&W). Rarely used. Never used to kill anything besides targets.

Should they be banned? No, but they probably shouldn't be so easy to get, either. Under the current law in my state, I didn't legally need to get a background check, obtain a license, or register the gun because it was obtained through a private sale. Seems kind of silly that there are different requirements depending on whether you buy the gun from a gun store versus a gun show or private sale. What's the point of even having requirements if they only apply some of the time? Not saying that criminals wouldn't still be able to get their hands on them anyway, but really, is there a legitimate reason for it to be so damn easy for anyone to buy a gun here? And I mean anyone... felons, the mentally ill, kids... it's harder to buy a damn pack of cigarettes in the U.S. than it is to buy a gun. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to responsible gun ownership (it would kind of make me a hypocrite if I was), but as easily available as guns are here now, they might as well just put them in vending machines.

As for your last point, I haven't shot myself yet. Main reason I own it is to defend my home from possible armed intruders, as my state's law also follows the Castle Doctrine - meaning that I can use deadly force against anyone who breaks into my house so long as I have reason to believe they pose a threat to me. Luckily, I haven't had to use it for that purpose as nobody thus far has been stupid enough to break into my house.
  7. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

God I wish we had your 'Castle Law' here in Canada. I also bought my guns for home defense, just in case if some low-lives decided to try robbing my house. But if we shoot home intruders, we get charged and have to prove in court that our lives were truly in danger. Also, I agree that in the USA, gun owners should be required to obtain a firearm license and pass a firearm safety course like we have to in Canada. If you're allowed to own guns, then you should know how to use it and store it safely.
  8. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

This topics title...........Re: Anyone Own Guns? (Possibly Triggering) anyone see the humour here? fab, you couldn't make it up!
  9. Samara

Samara Account Closed

I could possibly create another firestorm in this thread (not meaning to, but what I say could just do that), but I feel like guns were literally designed just to kill.

They are one of the few weapons of the modern world that I have found were really just created for that purpose alone. Not saying knives and other weapons don't do that, but I feel like when someone gets a gun, they are aware of just what it does... it puts a hole in a LIVING thing, to harm it or hurt it. I know some people use guns for pleasure, maybe they just shoot bottles or cans or targets.

But I can't help having that feeling in the back of my mind, that guns really were only designed just to harm.

A knife, for example, can also be used to cut things... like cut bushes down, cut things open... it can be used for things beyond just death and harm. Same with swords/machetis.

Explosives too, can be used for good things... like mining (jobs, and world market etc, and giving us resources)....

But still when I think back to a gun, I just can't really find it being used for much except for killing someone or hurting them somewhere on their body.

Again though, some people use it to save their own life. I am torn in that area (here comes the discrepancy)... if someone invaded another country, I would not blame the people so much if they defended themselves. I.E. Iraq families who had nothing to do with anything, who were invaded by war... could I blame them, if they were being shot at, and had children in the house, and a wife etc... if they decided to try and save themselves?

But again, that is a war situation, and again, still used to harm... but the circumstance is life or death.
  10. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

And what about if armed robbers broke into your home? Wouldn't you want to be able to defend yourself and your family from harm or death? I wouldn't ever use my guns to harm anyone, unless I were in a life or death situation, then all bets are off. And if you really think that the police actually care about you or your family, then think again. Their job is to come and investigate the crime scene after the crime has been committed.

You're right in saying that guns were designed to kill things, but when the criminals are armed, you have fight fire with fire, or else you're going to get burned.
  11. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I was hoping that someone would catch the humor in the title. :laugh:
  12. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I am honestly still trying to see the validity of this thread on this forum. Seems a bit inappropriate given the situation many of us find ourselves in.
  13. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

How is this thread inappropriate gentlelady? Like it our not, there are many forum members on SF who own guns. And I'm sure there are more gun owners on SF than are posting in this thread. Please don't close this thread. I haven't broken any of the forum rules. :smile:
  14. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I am not in denial about that Dave. I own a fair number myself. Did you read the description of this forum? Did I say any thing about closing the thread? Just wondering what your motive was and why you are interested? Also being that it is illegal to own guns in some countries you are pushing our boundaries.
  15. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Actually, gun ownership is legal in most countries, but the criminals will own guns illegally. And I highly doubt that those people would even be members of SF, let alone respond by saying in a public form that they have illegal guns. Sorry if I offended you or if I pushed the forum boundaries, but I meant no harm by this thread.
  16. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

No, rules haven't been broken, Dave_N. But what bothers me about this thread is your lack of good judgment in opening it. This is a suicide SUPPORT forum. Why introduce a topic that while you're not suggesting it as a method, is still about a method, and could be triggering to some. Clearly you knew that as you put it in the title, and you caution that members don't use guns for suicide. This is an insidious and sad form of contentiousness meant to rile up people - and it's poor form on a site such as SF.
  17. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

dave you obviously are not stupid.. then why do you use such effort to just barely skirt the rules and talk about subjects which are not appropriate for a lot of this membership who are just barely hanging on by a thread??? sir if you used one tenth of the efforts you use which are so terribly misguided and instead try to reallly help those that really do need some help now it would be so much better for everyone.. Jim
  18. Samara

Samara Account Closed

See I have thought about that scenario, but with my luck.... by the time I realized someone was in my home, the gun or weapon would probably already be pointed at me. I am kind of a heavy sleeper sometimes... and my paranoid mindset thinks about how people are able to creep inside quietly... it wouldn't be useful to me if I never heard or saw anyone coming anyway, until it was too late.

In my other paranoid mindset, I imagine that the intruder has figured out where my stuff is, and then ironically, is using that against me. I.E. the found the knives in the kitchen, or if I had a gun, they got to it, while I was asleep etc...

So even still, in an "intrusion" manner, I can only imagine it never working out in my favor too. Other people are like "Oh if someone tries to get into my house, I'll shoot them." Honestly, that really is only useful if you know about them trying to get in, before they are in.

Once they are in, that''s a whole other story.
  19. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Guns are illegal where I live, well you have to get a special license where mentally ill people would not be eligible anyway. I wouldn't want to own a gun, imagine if I got very down on myself. Consequences, consequences, consequences...imagine what could possibly happen?
  20. hawk

hawk Account Closed

I live in the countryside of texas and i own alot of guns. .243, .273, .30-06, .9mm, .38, 12ga, 10ga, 20ga, .357 mag, barret .50cal a2, glock 40. im always packin, but it just makes suicide that much easier and requires insane will power to just hang in there a little longer. not to kill yourself. i wouldnt suggest buying guys if you dont own already. im a hunter and concealed carrier. but i lveo te right to bear.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.