anyone scared of heights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

feathers

Not so much a fear of heights but a fear of falling. If I'm walking down a steep flight of stairs without a handrail or even with a handrail sometimes my legs lock up and I get terrified. \o/

KittyGirl

I tend to get vertigo just from walking up a flight of stairs... soo... heights don't work very well for me.
It seems that the further away from the ground I am, the more faint I am. I'm not so sure it's a phobia as much as it is to do with my um... internal workings.

I used to be able to go on roller coasters all day long without feeling sick or faint at all but then I hit puberty and developed a blood disease that makes me prone to anemia. After that, I have to take breaks in between rides and every so often I get physically sick and have to vomit once I get off the ride.
That never used to happen to me before.
I enjoy being on thrill rides because it's a controlled fear.
I don't like airplanes; I don't like climbing ladders and I don't like standing near a window or on a balcony in a high-up apartment.

I'm scared of lots of stuff.
When you're getting paid to deal with heights though, you tend to force yourself to get over it in that moment that you're working - do your job and get the hell back down to the ground again.

--

oh, and those rides in Vegas look severely tame. They are just kiddie rides ontop of a tall building... which I guess, is the whole appeal to them. They look pretty lame to me though.

gakky1

Not scared of heights but scared what I may do if I'm feeling too low and I'm crossing a bridge, or anywhere else high, it's why I try to avoid high places.:mad:

I HATE heights. I get very scared and shaky when up high. But I have done loads of high stuff like adventure courses, London Eye and stuff. It's just the build-up that scares me, after its fine.

pinkpetals33

I use to be dead scared of heights but after my last attempt and climbing over the bridge railing....I believe I can fly! I am not scared of heights anymore.

boo

Very scared of heights. I remember during summer, they would allow people on top of the building where my friend lived. We sometime go up there to have a few beer. I would get scared shitless when going near the edge.

Borrowed time*

I wouldnt say im scared, i do get the feeling the ground is rushing up at me but i like to look down.
Roller coasters on the other hand im terrified off, i have an irrational fear they are going to fall off the rails or the safety harness will not hold.

pinkpetals33

Roller coasters on the other hand im terrified off, i have an irrational fear they are going to fall off the rails or the safety harness will not hold.

ME too!!!!!!!!!!!! In fact, that is not a fear, that really happens.........sh*t the youtube clips I've seen....oh gawd!!!!! When I was 3 years old, I cuzzed a man out for not stopping the rollercoaster cuz I wanted to get off

plates

:happyno: I love rollercoasters and heights! that link doesn't frighten me in any way. i was the only one having the greatest time in a cable car above a forest a few yrs ago...the others, and they were boys my age and their parents were about to puke in terror :D i love being in an aeroplane too when it's taking off/landing.

Last edited by a moderator:

IV2010

I am actually ok looking out of an aeroplane but anywhere else I'm hopeless...
I went on a kiddie rollercoaster once (with a new BF-didn't want to look like a wimp) and I was scared s***less....and it only went a few feet off the ground and around in a circle..
A medal to anyone who can ride those scarey rides...

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
terrified not the word for me i can't go up 3 rings on a ladder without panicking totally embarrassed my ma on plane no my feet has to stay grounded.

I'm scared falling from a height, what i mean by this is i can easily look over the edge of a tall building providing there is a nice, sturdy barrier preventing me from falling, however if were no barrier, i'd be very reluctant to go anywhere near the edge.

I'm also not scared of flying either simply because (for me) there isn't really a perception of height inside a plane.

Mr Stewart

Very. Although it sometimes depends on the scenario. Air planes are fine. I could probably do a hot air balloon without a problem too. Roller coasters are fine because I know that they are fairly safe.

Bad things:
-bridges
-stairs (especially if you can see through the steps)
-tall buildings, particularly if there are open air balconies.
-pretty much anything connected to the ground
-standing on the ground next to anything that is tall and spindly. Like that radio tower thing at the top of the hill in San Francisco. I was standing on a road about half a mile away from it and was sick with worry that it would instantly fall on top of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00