Anyone with borderline personality disorder?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Landlocked blues, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Landlocked blues

Landlocked blues Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is in the right forum but anyway.

Just wondering if anyone has been diagnosed with BPD? My psych thinks i may have this but im a little confused as to what it is.

Can anyone give me a little insight please?

2. down-and-maybeout

down-and-maybeout Well-Known Member

I haven't (yet) been diagnosed with this, although after taking some unofficial advice and reading up about it myself, I'm fairly certain that this is what my diagnosis will be.

Borderline is also referred to as Emotionally Unstable PD, so if you have trouble controlling your emotions - and we're talking serious trouble, losing your temper at little things, feeling like you want to kill yourself at lunchtime and feeling like the happiest person in the world by teatime, mood swings like that - then you may be suffering from it.

Generally I believe it is characterised by mood swings similar to that of a Bipolar sufferer, but alternating much more quickly. That is to say, over periods of hours sometimes, rather than weeks.

There is also a trend for self-destructive behaviour associated with Borderline. That could be taking risks, driving dangerously, drinking to excess, gambling, going on wild spending sprees, that kind of thing. Other symptoms can include a need to feel 'validated', a fear of abandonment and difficulty making or maintaining relationships or a tendency to enter into turbulent relationships which are bad for you.

A couple of sites which may help you:

http://www.mind.org.uk/help/diagnoses_and_conditions/borderline_personality_disorder

https://www.bbc.co.uk/headroom/mental_health/borderline_personality_disorder.shtml

3. Landlocked blues

Oh my! You have just described ME! I feel happy i finally have reasons for feeling like this but sad at the same time. Thank you hun x

4. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Borderline is so hard to diagnose and it is an extremely bad idea to read the diagnostic criteria and go oh yep that describes me. Not suggesting you, Sam as i know you said you have a psych.

I mean any woman could probably read that list and think they have Borderline :laugh:

I'll dig up some good links for you.

5. Landlocked blues

6. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Bugger, both the articles i was going to link you are no longer available. They were by far the best i had seen. Giving examples of behaviours. Going into more detail about the disorder rather then just a list of symptoms. Also discussing the differences between highly functioning borderlines etc etc

I find there is a real lack of quality information to be honest. It's all so basic that i find it just leaves you even more confused about it all.

I'd suggest finding online communities like here (preferably specifically borderline forums) and speaking to people who have actually been diagnosed . I can't express how important that bolded part is.

7. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I haven't been diagnosed, but at times, I think it fits me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.