Anyone with Celiac?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by KittyGirl, May 20, 2010.

1. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I guess it's not really general knowledge... I've had celiac disease since highschool- but at first, doctors just assumed that I was anemic and that was it. I switched from vegetarianism to semi-vegetarianism so that my iron intake would rise... but even with that; daily supplements and monthly shots- my iron level didn't budge.

I'm just wondering if anyone else on the forum has celiac and how they deal with it, diet-wise?
    Nothing is working for me yet... it seems like I'm going to always just be sick and weak -___-
    Iron is my biggest problem, and then gluten (which is in ALL of my favourite foods XD so I've had to create rice/non gluten based substitutes) and lactose intolerance last.

I'm the only family member who is still living; who has been diagnosed with celiac. My great grandfather on my mom's side also had it and died when he was 42, from liver failure.

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful~
    I'll be seeing my doctor next month sometime, so I will also have time then to ask him for any more suggestions.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Celiac disease is both a disease of malabsorption—meaning nutrients are not absorbed properly—and an abnormal immune reaction to gluten. Celiac disease is also known as celiac sprue, nontropical sprue, and gluten-sensitive enteropathy. Celiac disease is genetic, meaning it runs in families. Sometimes the disease is triggered—or becomes active for the first time—after surgery, pregnancy, childbirth, viral infection, or severe emotional stress.
    Read more about it here!