anyone's parents overprotective, because of your illness.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by dvnj22, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dvnj22

dvnj22 Well-Known Member

I live with my dad and he's super protective because of my depression. he thinks I'm disabled and wont help me get a job, even though my dr. say im not disabled. I need he's help for carpooling, but he wont drive me, so I asked if I can have some money to buy a bus ticket - he says no. I can't drive because it's his car and don't have a license. He's kind and understanding, but he views me as inferior to him. this has literally made me feel suicidal. I'm 22 and I don't expect to make a lot of money, but is working at the grocery store too much to ask? I don't know what to do.
  2. Anonymousnobody

Anonymousnobody Well-Known Member

Maybe you could try talking to him? Not in a whiney, complaining way but with reason? I don't know, just a thought...sorry if this wasn't helpful
  3. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

If you depend on your dad to drive you or provide cash for the bus ticket that's not going to encourage him to see you as independent is it? Could you walk to work till you could ask for a sub from your employer to pay for your bus tickets?
  4. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I would tell him that being so overprotective of you is making you feel worse rather than helping you. You need to be honest. Sometimes parents can't see what they are doing when the over protective shutters come down.
  5. dvnj22

dvnj22 Well-Known Member

I have already tried talking to him, it just gets angry now. I would have no problem walking to a job, but no jobs are within walking distance are hiring.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.