Apergers Syndrome Vs. Borderline Personality Disorder

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Kiba, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiba

Kiba Well-Known Member

So.. I am having trouble with the differences with each.. Aspergers causes a lack of social skills and generally conversations from an aspie are about their interests and them because they don't know how to communicate the same as most people.. I've been diagnosed between Pervasive Developmental Disorder and Aspergers Syndrome.. I have very little "common sense".. Very Asperger / autistic traits.. And in school I got a lot of help in Language Arts because I couldn't use words to explain what I wanted to others in detail.. I also got a lot of speech therapy work.. But I see a lot of similarity in Borderline to Aspergers.. Being the social components mostly.. Though I'm not sure.. Generally Aspergers is something you are born with.. and I'm not sure about Borderline.. But it is said generally to be from traumas.. I'm not sure if anyone can see there are some similarities in the two..I just find that interesting..

(similarities marked in bold)

Aspergers Syndrome:
    -main symptom is significant trouble with social situations.
    -Not pick up on social cues and may lack inborn social skills, such as being able to read others' body language, start or maintain a conversation, and take turns talking.
    -Dislike any changes in routines.
    -Appear to lack empathy.
    -Be unable to recognize subtle differences in speech tone, pitch, and accent that alter the meaning of others’ speech. So your child may not understand a joke or may take a sarcastic comment literally. And his or her speech may be flat and hard to understand because it lacks tone, pitch, and accent.
    -Have a formal style of speaking that is advanced for his or her age. For example, the child may use the word "beckon" instead of "call" or the word "return" instead of "come back."
    -Avoid eye contact or stare at others.
    -Have unusual facial expressions or postures
    -Be preoccupied with only one or few interests, which he or she may be very knowledgeable about. Many children with Asperger's syndrome are overly interested in parts of a whole or in unusual activities, such as designing houses, drawing highly detailed scenes, or studying astronomy. They may show an unusual interest in certain topics such as snakes, names of stars, or dinosaurs
    -Talk a lot, usually about a favorite subject. One-sided conversations are common. Internal thoughts are often verbalized.
    -Have delayed motor development. Your child may be late in learning to use a fork or spoon, ride a bike, or catch a ball. He or she may have an awkward walk. Handwriting is often poor.
    -Have heightened sensitivity and become overstimulated by loud noises, lights, or strong tastes or textures. For more information about these symptoms, see sensory integration dysfunction.

*A child with one or two of these symptoms does not necessarily have Asperger’s syndrome. To be diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome, a child must have a combination of these symptoms and significant trouble with social situations.*

Borderline Personality Disorder:
    -fear of being left alone (abandoned), even if the threat of being abandoned is not real.
    -Make frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment.
    -Have a pattern of difficult relationships caused by alternating between extremes of intense admiration and hatred of others
    -Have an unstable self-image or be unsure of his or her own identity.
    -Act impulsively in ways that are self-damaging, such as extravagant spending, frequent and unprotected sex with many partners, substance abuse, binge eating, or reckless driving.
    -Have recurring suicidal thoughts, make repeated suicide attempts, or cause self-injury through mutilation, such as cutting or burning himself or herself.
    -Have frequent emotional overreactions or intense mood swings, including feeling depressed, irritable, or anxious. These mood swings usually only last a few hours at a time. In rare cases, they may last a day or two.
    -Have long-term feelings of emptiness.
    -Have inappropriate, fierce anger or problems controlling anger. The person may often display temper tantrums or get into physical fights.
    -Have temporary episodes of feeling suspicious of others without reason (paranoia) or losing a sense of reality.

Similarities:
    It seems to me that both have a lot of social difficulty and trouble with empathy.. They also seem to have both very strong emotions / feelings / sensitivities..

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2012
  2. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I raised a daughter with aspergers. She went through a rough time of trying to live life on a daily basis. Any psych diagnosis is a result of the trauma of trying to get through life when all one experiences is one frustration after another of trying to connect to other people. My daughter is now 31. It's been a long process but she keeps developing in a good direction. I told her that in her case development takes longer but that she does get there pretty good. She's been in school most of her adult life. She finished high school as an adult, has attended some junior college, and is now going to another trade school even though she graduated from another one.

She is so good in school work. She has a lot of strengths. The problem is how to read and interact with people. She may have found her calling. She is being encouraged by the current school to continue taking classes as a pharmacy tech because she is so good at it. I think this may be the one.

Either way I encourage her to stay involved with something even if it's school. I'd like to encourage you to do the same. When you have something to do, you are living your life on a daily basis and that is what life is about: living.

3. Kiba

Kiba Well-Known Member

Well.. Right now I'm simply trying to survive.. A lot of the treatment I went through did help me in some ways socially but it also took away some of my "special interests" because I so often have had whatever I am interested in taken from me.. and now I associate that passion to loss.. And in a way beat myself up for it..I have however recently (last night) looked back over my computer game programming that I started a long time ago (and was my interest) and did a few minor updates and things.. It is just hard to really know though.. I never can keep the passion for anything anymore.. because of fear.. I know I take things emotionally a lot stronger.. and I have sensitivities to light, sound.. I get so overloaded with just all the input.. And I know I make a lot of "bad calls" when it comes to trusting people.. as well as it always feels so terrible when I have someone use sarcasm and I take it literally, then they laugh at me and tell me they were being sarcastic.. anyway.. I also cannot multitask.. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it..I can't look people in the eyes and talk to them.. And I always have a subconscious feeling that everyone hates me because I hear voice tones but they are always angry ones.. And I guess maybe I miss read.. Idk..

4. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

I can see the parallels you can make between the descriptions, however, people with Borderline PD are... err, a lot more intense in their behaviour and issues than people on the functioning end of the autism spectrum. There is a similarity in some symptoms but the reality of the two is quite different.

BPD, as with most (all?) personality disorders generally develop in the early teenage years, and usually won't be diagnosed officially until the person is over 18.

You can drive yourself crazy reading through the DSM and wondering about whether one thing or another applies to you. Best thing to do if you suspect is to get thee to a pdoc and hear what they have to say. Save a lot of fret and worry over the maybe and maybe nots.

5. Kiba

Kiba Well-Known Member

I've had a lot of diagnosis in my past.. I was diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome at one point then between that and Pervasive developmental disorder. I was told by someone that they thought I might have Borderline so I was just looking it up and noticed a few different similarities. I don't have a pdoc anymore but temporarily I am being seen at a 24hr crisis center for evaluation by a therapist weekly. I have only gone once though and go again tomorrow. But I wont be going very long as I am kinda traveling between different states.. Hopefully where I am going to the end of next month, we (My friend Julia and I) will find a roommate to share housing expenses with (We have a person we met on our journey who may room with us) and I can see someone on a more permanent basis who will actually listen to me and not just nod their head like my old therapist.

6. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Geez, after reading this symptoms, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that I suffer from both. The only thing I've ever been officially diagnosed with is clinical depression, but damn, a lot of these signs do seem to apply to me...

7. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I hope you are able to take up some of your interests again after you find a place. The computer game program sounds like a good place to start because you can do as little or as much as you want.

I hope you feel better soon. :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.