Apparently I am not allowed to think for myself

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Witty_Sarcasm, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I am just sick and tired of people disapproving of everything about me. The wrong clothes, wrong hairstyle, the way I act and live is wrong. The list goes on and on. Seems like family, friends, and acquaintances always have something to say about it. God forbid I eat a cookie, I might gain a pound. Oh, well I shouldn't have another drink, but others can get crazy drunk. It feels like people are constantly putting down every aspect about me. I'm really fed up with it. Do people think I am incapable to make my own decisions? I feel like I need to kowtow to everyone's demands, because I don't want to upset the apple cart. I try to tell people this hurts me, and that they should mind their own business, but it goes in one ear and out the other. I feel like no one takes me seriously. If no one likes me the way I am, sometimes I feel it is better if I don't exist at all.

2. Inspire&Inquire

Inspire&Inquire SF Supporter

What do they know? I bet if you look closely you'll see an unbuttoned cuff or a poorly-tied shoe. You might even notice mascara that was sloppily put on or a poorly worded sentence. Maybe they have a dandruff flake or two in their hair or a pimple on their cheek (how dreadful). Perhaps they don't use intonation with their syllables in their speech or their pants are too high or too low or the roots of their hair are starting to show amidst the dye - they shouldn't dye their hair its bad for it, and if they don't dye their hair, why haven't they? it gives off more personality . Did they clean their car? When is the last time they walked their dog?

I want a full report on their faults on my desk by noon tomorrow.

Inanimate and DrownedFishOnFire like this.
  3. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

Sorry people are treating you like this.

People are way too busy judging others... I've dealt with this a lot as well, I ended up agreeing with myself that I actually feel sorry for people who have such dull lives that they have to care about what I do. It really says a lot more than them than it does about you.

You are you, and you have every right to be!

4. Witty_Sarcasm

I just have to stop caring so much about what others think of me. I need to do what makes me happy and not listen to anything else.

ThePhantomLady likes this.
  5. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

People are always going to criticize, and nobody can ever please everyone. It's not possible, and not worth trying for. You have to do things you're comfortable with, things that make you happy.

Witty_Sarcasm likes this.
  6. Witty_Sarcasm

I don't know why I feel I need to mold myself to what people want me to be. I think I just take criticism and disapproval too hard. I don't want to be "wrong" in anyone's eyes.

7. Inanimate

Inanimate Well-Known Member

Sounds like they're overprotective to the point where it comes off as insulting; at least your family and friends would seem that way. They might think that they have your best interest in mind, but little do they know that they're being oppressive. I just think that they need to back off. You don't need to change for them. If they see certain aspects of you as wrong, that's really just their problem. At the same time, you shouldn't have to live with their perpetual criticism. If they're not listening, have you been honest enough with them? Have you told them how this really makes you feel, comprehensively? It really shouldn't have to go that far, but if they're that oblivious, it might be necessary. If they're still not listening at that point, then just wtf...?

Witty_Sarcasm likes this.
  8. Witty_Sarcasm

Yeah I tell people, they just don't seem to care. I guess they just need their opinions to be the loudest.