Arab Spring Then and Now

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Farandaway674, Jun 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farandaway674

Farandaway674 Member

I wanted to ask these question considering the uprising in Egypt today and ask simply Will the Arab Spring have a happy ending or will it led to more bloodshed? I have spent most of my academic career studying the Arab world and when the Arab Spring (I really hate to use that term) started I had the highest of expectations for all those involved. I didn't have a pro western democracy kind of naivety about the situation but at the time I did think it would be a major and historic step in the right direction. But overall I think the dream has become unfulfilled. Syria is just a bloodbath, everyone involved is as guilty in that as everybody else, the rally cry of Tahrir Square in Egypt has remained out of reach, and for the rest of the countries involved it has kind of faded away. I am forced to ask why did it fail? Could and Should the international Community do more or have they done to much already? and is a legitimate Arab democracy possible?

2. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I think that these events are far more complex than we're being led to believe, especially because the ideals of the West, and its motives, are almost completely at odds with the majority of Arabian culture. As far as intervention, the US has done more than enough to instigate a perpetual state of unrest in the Middle East, much to the US benefit. Obama wishes to continue the mistakes of the Bush administration in its foreign policy by arming Al Qaeda and terrorists in Syria now. What will the blowback be this time? There's enough intervention; Syria,Turkey, Egypt, among others distraught need to be left alone for a change without the world police manipulating the situation to make it worse and divide sects even further by exporting nothing but tanks and guns and missiles to them.

Ask: who does this chaos and genocide benefit the most? Not Arabs... So who's really behind the uprisings and to what end?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2013
  3. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

With my line of work i am good friends with the sheiks in the UAE, we have spoke about this at great length, they think it will be massive bloodshed, luckily for the sheiks i know, they have their countries in a relatively stable state and are flourishing and by majority they are great places to live. In other countries the situation is different, there will be massive bloodshed but i believe they will eventually find their own form of democracy, we can not criticise them since this is exactly what has happened in our country in the past. Reminds me of Twains saying "the past does not repeat itself. But it does rhyme"
    I could tell you some of the complexities in the middle eastern culture, but tbh half of you wouldnt even believe what goes on out there.
    I will agree with above, these are not soley instigated by those who live in the country, there is a bit of political nudging going on, including promises of intervention.

4. 3.141592654

3.141592654 Well-Known Member

I feel that the increased prices of food are seriously underreported as a source of this conflict. With the ever increasing population, I think this will remain a problem for many generations to come.

Another problem is that power corrupts. I fear that in many countries where the dictators have been overthrown with the best of intentions, the new leaders might grow into dictators themselves.

As for Syria....Do you remember when the US said they had to enforce a no-fly-zone over Libya because they feared the government was gonna kill a large amount of civilians, well Syria now has over 100.000 dead and no action is taken. Hmmmm, I wonder if oil has anything to do with those differing decisions.

5. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

No - do not believe it has anything to do with it all. It has to do with trying to extricate further rather than taking sides for a change. Since only one side has an airforce it would be direct military intervention on behalf of rebels that have shown equally distasteful methods of "waging war" as the regime.

We got/get no oil from libya , had not gotten oil from iraq in years, and there is no oil in afghanistan. The sound bite is good but very short of facts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.