Aranged or Forced Marriage

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Twocky61, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Here in the uk aranged marriages are not part of our culture and as of today the maximum sentence for forced marrriage (as opposed to aranged) is seven years imprisonment.

Though it has technically been law since 2007

Now as for aranged marriages, as long as the son/daughter is in agreement then it can be a good thing. The family will know other families and suitable potential partners for their son/daughter. So my question is how many aranged marriages result in divorce as opposed to marriages chosen by the participants?

As for forced marriages that can never be a good thing hence the law now in place. Often underage girls are married off to older men just for sex which makes these men paedophiles and the girls parents accessories after the fact and liable to prosecution as should be the men.

In my view they parents should have thier other children taken into care and compulsorarily sterilised.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2014
  2. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I think there is a clear difference between arranged and forced marriages. When I lived in Luton I went to a school where 90% of the pupils were Asian and were Muslims. So most of my friends were Muslims and I remember having a discussion with my friends about arranged marriage because I knew most of them wouldn't be marrying out of love so was curious as to what they thought. One of my friends said when the time was right for her she would enter an arranged marriage with a person of her choosing that also wanted to marry her. She wanted a respectable marriage and to provide the best for her children when she had them. My other friends all said the same thing. I asked them but what if you absolutely hate each other when you get married and they replied, it is a wife's duty to make the marriage work. Arranged marriage is a very common in their community and if all parties are in agreement then I say good luck to them.

Forced marriage however is a completely different topic. It's abuse, plain and simple and I can't abide it. Luckily when I lived in Luton, none of my friends or peers were shipped off to Pakistan or Bangladesh and were forced to marry, so it's maybe not so much of a bigger problem than we think it might be because out of 1,000 pupils, none were forced into marrying. But I think that those who force young women to marry should be locked up and have the key thrown away, and the same for their "husbands".
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Saw this on the news this morning, think it is a great way forward for the UK. Forced marriages make me sick, like you said if its a child as young as 8 and a man of 50, he is a paedophile in OUR country? I would love to know what their definition of a paedophile is.
  4. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Backward bullshit imo. Join with someone you want to share your life with. Arranged marriages have very little to do with the individuals and more to do with the families. Kudos for the UK in doing what they can to protect individuals, especially from their psycho controlling parents. It's a dominance thing. If anything, marriage should be a massive extension of freedom.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.