are any of you repulsed by the idea of being in a relationship?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by alwayshalfway, May 14, 2012.

1. alwayshalfway

alwayshalfway Member

every time i think of being in a relationship whether boy or girl, i get this nauseating feeling...it feels so disgusting.
    but then sometimes when i kinda step back i'm like, it might not be so bad? but eventually i go back to the repulsion.

can anyone relate? :(

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I guess not exactly, I just feel reluctant about it because I've been hurt so much in the past...so sometimes I might feel really apprehensive about the idea of being in a relationship. On some levels, I've felt like I don't deserve it...I hope one day you will be able to not feel repulsed about the idea of relationships.

3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I really can...altough I was really advanced for my age...all the time I felt this discomfort...for me it was a fear of truy being intimate which was expressed in this way...the more comfortable I became with being that close to someone, the more pleasurable it became

4. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

If my partner is repulsive. At which point said partner will cease being partner. So not really.

I'd love to be in a relationship, but they're difficult, hard to maintain, and require an ability to relate to another person for an extended period of time, make compromises, remain on an intimate and close level, with full acceptance - and complete vulnerability. It's too high of a risk to take in my current state.

5. gloomy

gloomy Account Closed

"I'd never want to belong to a club who would have someone like me as a member."-Woody Allen.

6. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

Not really the relationship, but being intimate, or close. any.form of closeness makes.me feel sick, after being betrayed so many times, after hurt. I don't know if I can let myself get close to anyone again. I want to. I want to feel loved, I want to feel special. but it is something that will only remain a want/craving. It is something I will never find.

7. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Considering I will probably live out the rest of my life without ever being in one, I feel that I may as well find it repulsive. If I can't have it, then why pine for it and only make myself feel even worse? I wish I could force myself to never have the desire for a girlfriend, wife, etc. to kill it permanently so it won't be such a nagging bother to me when I never end up getting one. : (

8. 1112222

1112222 Well-Known Member

Nope.

9. gloomy

gloomy Account Closed

I'm not so sure that this kind of post is really keeping in the spirit of this thread.

10. gem77

gem77 Well-Known Member

i understand. my family have recently tried to set me up with someone and i liked the idea of it at first but when i think about it i do feel repulsed. maybe its because ive left it too long although im only 21. ive never been intimate with a guy and when i think about it i do tense up and think oh god no i cant bring myself to be in a relationship. at the same time i dont like the thought of being alone, and whenever i watch a rom-com i do fantasise about having someone to connect with. but in reality i cant stamp out these feelings of being not wanting to be in a relationship.

11. alwayshalfway

alwayshalfway Member

i've never actually been in a relationship though...so..its just sort of odd to me.
    but i can totally understand being hurt before and being unable to trust someone or bear the relationship

12. alwayshalfway

alwayshalfway Member

also, this exactly! i don't have any clue why i feel like i couldn't do it and yet somehow still fantasize about it

13. gloomy

gloomy Account Closed

:calm:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2012
  14. Wagner

Wagner New Member

I can understand that feeling... Although I mostly feel that way around other couples. It's probably a want/too lazy to have kinda thing for me. I also feel like getting too close to someone results in misery

15. Brynden

Brynden Well-Known Member

I want to be with another woman (I'm bi). I have the urges but I always have this voice in my head that says that's gross.

16. PJLane

PJLane Well-Known Member

no - i would love to just have a special someone :(

17. brainstorm

brainstorm Well-Known Member

I am deathly afraid of it. I am afraid of opening myself to criticism and evaluation and being rejected after I let somebody in. There are so many things not acceptable about me, as a person and as a man of my age. Notably, how childishly I behave for lack of relationship experience. And that has become another vicious cycle that can only get worse.

18. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I'm repulsed by my current relationship, but not the idea of relationships themselves. In fact, if I were in a healthy, happy relationship, my feelings towards relationships would be the polar opposite of repulsion.

19. cherie

cherie Member

What do you mean by repulsive? Can I ask how old are you?
    Maybe you just need to find the right person and open yourself completely to him/her. Even though it may seem weird and hard and may take some time, it's worth it. You learn so much about yourself.

20. dustin

dustin Banned Member

It does repulse me because I see it as a selfish thing. I truly hate myself and to be a part of someone's life like that seems like a cruel thing to do. I am a lonely person, and I would like to fall in love, but everyone I have ever been with, in any relationship, family, friends, romantic.. I change, I become a this terrible asshole to them because I want them to hate me as much as I hate myself. There are times the people are smart, and leave me forever, other times they want to stay and help me. Being pitied is a terrible feeling. There have been times that I would cycle, asking for forgiveness only to want them to hate me again later. I have never laid a hand on a woman, but mentally I am a textbook case of the abuser in an abusive relationship, be it physical or mental. So I stay alone, try not to get close to anyone. As much as I want to be in a relationship, it's just not the right thing for a person like me to do.