Are drug users looked down upon?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Ruby, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

.. so, are they?

I'm not sure why, but I get the impression that recreational drug users are looked down upon (on here at least). It doesn't seem to be the case with self harmers or people with eating disorders, so I don't understand it. It's almost like drug users are viewed as being less deserving of help, for whatever reason. Can somebody please explain it to me?

2. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

In real life? Yes, but then again so is anyone who doesn't have a problem that is considered 'normal' by mainstream society. :rolleyes:

On here, SF, personally I've not come across that or ever felt that.. IMO, anyone who's here is deserving of equal amounts of support, regardless of how important they feel their feelings are.

3. Ruby,

I read through the other threads you'd posted at in the Substance Abuse section, and it didn't at all sound like you were being looked down on. Firstly, the Substance Abuse section doesn't get as much traffic as some of the others, so fewer are bound to respond. Secondly, I don't think all that many people are familiar with Cocaine as some other drugs (cost being one thing), even though addiction is addiction is addiction. So again, fewer are bound to respond. And in your posts, merely speaking of your experiences (as you put it) sounded rather like a 'glorification'. Of course, extolling the 'virtues' of anyone's 'drug of choice' will naturally seem that way to others...

You asked one very significant question - "At what point does it become more than RECREATIONAL use?" And Montage had given you a very heartfelt reply

http://www.suicideforum.com/showthread.php?t=43842

So, you're perception that "recreational users" are looked down upon, is but your perception. For in your descriptions of your escalating usage, your growing immunity, the frequency, and the "need", that pretty much sounds like you are indeed addicted - and not the phrase above that you 'prefer' to use. And in using that prefered phrase, it also sounds like you are in denial (another trait common to addicts). Cocaine has a very high addiction factor/risk to begin with...and you've been using it for quite some time.

Furthermore, no one here is truly qualified to diagnose you, nor recommend specific treatment other than by a professional - and a few had indeed recommended that you seek help. No one is judging you...

Addicts are "hard to reach", no matter what their addiction is.

I personally know...

And posting in The Soap Box will not diminish this growing knowledge inside you, and the fear of it...

http://www.cocaineaddictiondrugrehab.com/c-addiction-symptoms.htm

http://www.merlinhelpsstudents.com/lifestyle/betterliving/drugsandaddiction.asp
    (a questionnaire)

Read Montage's reply a few times...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  4. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

I think hardcore drug users are looked down upon more then recreational ones. People with track marks and obviously other visible marks are looked at differently where as someone who occasionally smokes weed isn't looked at as a hardcore drug user.

I dont know just my two sense.

5. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

I personally don't look down upon drug users, recreational or not. Not everyone will take that view point, but hey. Yeah, in society drug users are looked down upon, as are people who fall outside of the box everyone wants to put everyone else into..I don't think drug users are less deserving of help at all, but like FAL1 said, the substance forum doesn't get that many views simply because a lot of people don't have advice for the people there. It's like I'd rather give either good advice, or no advice at all, you know? You can PM me if you need to talk or whatever. x

6. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

Naww I don't personally either. Some people have it pushed into their brains by mainstream media or what not. As long as you know the consequences and accept them its fine with me. If its harming other people cause of the addiction then yeah i do look down upon that though, not the person i believe every one is equal just what people do.i think forgiveness is a good quality. What ever makes you feel better. every one deserves help.

7. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I think that society as a rule does look down on addicts (of whatever substance) as 'weak-willed' or otherwise "imperfect". At least that's the impression I get from my family.:sad:

8. Sylar

Sylar Well-Known Member

for each his addiction that decreases his suffering
    theirs is drugs
    doesn't make it any less dangerous tho , they should get help to get clean again
    and find a less dangerous addiction like video games

9. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

I admittedly don't peruse the substance abuse forum often, but when I have I never detected any shitting-upon of the users/abusers there.

I certainly don't look down upon anyone here.

10. Random

Random Well-Known Member

In "normal" mainstream society? Absolutely. But so-called "normal" folks tend to look down on everybody for the slightest reasons (or none at all).

I don't take that attitude. Especially not with weed smokers. I don't really look down on anyone. Especially people who already have enough problems without me giving them shit over their coping mechanisms.

11. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I have epilepsy. For me, weed is a lot "cleaner" than waking up on the floor and not being able to eat solid foods comfortably for a week.

12. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

I think people who are seriously addicted to drugs and can't live without them are looked down upon. Pot heads, coke heads, crack heads etc. I use to have a friend that would set his alarm twice a night to wake up and smoke pot, then go back to bed. That is just stupid if you ask me, he can't do anything without being high.

13. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

I think a lot of the people who hate on drug users are jealous of the fun they aren't having themselves. Also a lot of people who don't think they can 'handle' recreational drugs would like to see the downfalls of those who can. I know about this from hanging out with kids in AA.

The ones who talk maliciously about really sick drug addicts are just shitty people.

14. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I don't think (for those people) it's so much a matter of wanting to be high all the time. I think it's more a matter of not being able to stand the pain of being fully cognizant of the dreary gloom that is reality for some folks. I can't say I blame them much. I don't smoke it anymore but if they aren't bothering me, it's none of my business.

Anyway. That's probably the reason for 90% of drug and alcohol use. People don't usually just get bushwhacked by them. The whole reason a lot of people start using them in the first place is that they're looking for something, anything to make small slices of their lives tolerable. Kind of like mini vacations. You take it, it clears your mind, you feel good. Better than you have for a long time. Perhaps even since early childhood.

It's really not healthy if taken to extremes but as I guess most of us know, neither is constant depression.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.