Are homosexual men really that promiscuous?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by Krem, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

I've been reading, and the stereotype worries me.. are many homosexual men really as promiscuous as it's displayed to be, or is that only the "club/party" guys? Is it the norm to have sex outside or relationships, regardless of relationship status?

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/gay-sex-vs-straight-sex/

They're not.

Well. Some are.

"It turns out that a tiny fraction of gays have single-handedly two-handedly created the public image of gay sexual recklessness—in fact we found that just 2% of gay people have had 23% of the total reported gay sex, which is pretty crazy. "

Holy shit we're gay in Canada!

3. 1112222

1112222 Well-Known Member

Nope as its a pretty dumb stereotype.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2010
  4. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

um, what?
    I don't know... I'm not a gay man, so I guess I can't answer that question from personal experience but I can say that many, many more of my straight female/male friends are fairly promiscuous. All but one of my gay friends have never had a one night stand and never plan to.

From my standpoint... promiscuity seems quite normal for *everyone* these days- or at least for a large chunk of people in 'modern day society'.

5. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I agree with Kitty girl, it seems that being promiscuous is a in thing nowadays...I was told I was too old fashioned by many people 'cause I don't want one night stands, cyber sex or sex on the first date, or have a threesome etc...

it seems those that want a serious monogamous relationship are a breed in extinction....

6. down-and-maybeout

down-and-maybeout Well-Known Member

I think they're as likely or unlikely to be promiscuous as someone heterosexual, to be honest. That's based on a few gay men that I know and the differences between them.

KittyGirl, I agree too. One or two of the gay men I know are promiscuous, and a lot of the heterosexual people I know are promiscuous too. My ex-boss who was married with a child used to plainly say in the office in front of everyone that she couldn't see the big deal in sleeping around because "everyone does it".

Oh how I love my asexuality sometimes :)

7. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Narh mate. Some people choose to be, but flip it to the heterosexual man, it's exactly the same, just more readily accepted. It's just saturated in texts and media because it's a "new" socially accepted "practice".

8. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

im not, maybe cause im ugly or whatever but even if i was better looking i wouldnt be promiscuous....i guess im just a romantic at heart...

9. PiecesMended

PiecesMended Well-Known Member

I have more male friends for some reason and I know a lot of gay guys. My straight male friends are waaay more promiscuous and my gay guy friends are a lot more romantic. But that's just the people I know!

10. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

The study I linked gives a median number of sexual partners of 6, over a wide range of ages, for all sexes and sexual orientations... Doesn't seem that promiscuous to me.