Are human beings inherently racist ?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by OutCaste, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OutCaste

OutCaste Well-Known Member

I think so.

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

3. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I don't think so, I think it's something that some of us learn.

4. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Human beings are inherently distrusting of things that are different.

5. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I think human beings are inherently good and conditioned to bad behaviours.

6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Yes. We are xenophobic by nature... In our evolutionary history, if someone was not in your immediate family they were an enemy. Period.

However, we do have the gift of reason to allow us to overcome it in the modern, non-tribal age.

7. Shiroi_Hana

Shiroi_Hana Well-Known Member

I really don't see what the point of that would be...

8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

There's competition for limited resources. Either your family group is getting it, or another is... so it should be your family, no? Cooperation comes later.

9. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

An evolutionary throwback to a time when anything that wasn't your family was either going to eat you or steal your food supply.

Edit - Think Lions of today, they kill cheetahs because theyre another big cat that would be sharing their food supply.
    A wild Tiger and a wild Lion put into the same environment will try to kill each other, despite being so genetically similar they can breed viable (albeit sterile) offspring and both species will fight off other members of the same species that encroach on their territory as it is a threat to their food source and ultimate survival, not to mention their tendency to kill unfamiliar babies who are no threat at all just to bring females back on heat.

From an animalistic view humans do very well not to break into our neighbors homes and eat them.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
  10. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

100% right, evolution as the answer to pretty much every human behavior.

11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

No, evolution only explains instinctive behaviour. We have higher thought. We are responsible for using that to rise above instinctive behaviour.... Cooperation is a higher thought process and has produced everything good we've ever accomplished as a species.

12. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

We inherently create an identity, and decide what is "us" and "them". Not all of us hate "them", but that can be very reliant on nurture.

13. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

Cooperation is a result of the fact that humans can project deadly threat against members of our species from a distance, it has nothing to do with thought.

The human brain is the result of a greatly increased developmental cycle relative to our body size. Without 9 months in the womb and many years of brain growth afterward, during which we are largely defenseless, we would NEVER achieve the intelligence we have now and that developmental cycle comes from cooperation. 'It takes a village to raise a child' because even the smallest human societies contain at least several families which need to aid and defend each other. Two humans could never provide the basics of life for the 10+ years it takes for a child to be even remotely competent in caring for herself, and 16+ years to full maturity. Our modern societies are just advanced versions of the tribal communities we first lived in.

Our brain FOLLOWS from cooperation, it does not cause cooperation. There is no other biological way it could work. Impossible.

All thoughts and behaviors are derived from evolved instinct--there are no exceptions.

14. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well-Known Member

You are conditioned to associate racists with "bad". :rolleyes:

15. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

Basing your judgments on someone completely off of sterotypes and assumptions is a good way to lead your life.

16. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Ya, I've never met nazis and serial rapists. I should throw away the prejudices and meet them myself!

That train goes two ways, buddy.

17. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Intellectually what better way is there to know something than to look at its most superficial aspect and make an absolute judgment?

18. Lyse

Lyse Guest

I can honestly say I have never been racist, even despite my father being one to a decent degree. Although by definition, I am a racist merely because I recognize the existence of different races among humans. Here in Sweden you are apparently not supposed to think such things, says political correctness.

19. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

Ah fuck it, no one would get it anyways.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2009
  20. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

We’re discriminatory towards any minority, not naturally racist.

Once anyone has the upper hand they are going to try and do anything to keep that upper hand. It’s human nature. Everyone wants to be on top.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.