are my scars me?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by drkangl, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drkangl

drkangl Active Member

I was thinking about where to put a new tattoo the other day, someone asked why I don't get one to cover up all or even some of the scars on my hands and wrists? For some reason I can't, they are a constant daily reminder of where I've been and what I've gone thru in my truly #$%# up life. I wear them almost like a badge of honor I actually like them, I need them to be there for some reason. I would never cover them, is that messed up? And what does that really say of me as a person and mother?

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I think every person is different. For some people who have recovered they can be a visual reminder of all they went through and all they beat, and it can help keep them strong. For others, they don't like them. For me, I personally like them because its evidence that I've done some really bad things to myself, but I never, ever show anyone else and keep it all covered.

Everyone is different.

It sounds from your post a bit like you wear them as a badge of honour because t maybe hey are evidence you survived horrendous times?

3. drkangl

drkangl Active Member

hey scum, thanks and i think your right.

4. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

There are some really good quotes around about that. One in particular that I can't totally remember but its really good. I think a lot of people can understand what you've said, even if its different for them.

5. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

On another forum I belong to, someone has a tattoo that says this.

'I wear my scars with pride, they show my battles, these battles i have won.'

That's probably pretty apt to what you're describing.

6. LSD

LSD Well-Known Member

i wonder that sometimes

life is a battle..
    like that quote said
    and you go through all that.. and you are still here
    so yeah i belive that after all is something that we should feel pride about
    even when people says other things

but then i feel ashamed at times
    its a weird feeling

7. June

June Well-Known Member

I can totally understand you. I got a tattoo on my arm a few months ago but decided to have it on my right one as the left one is covered with scars. I also would never cover it with a tattoo as they are a part of me and remind me of what happened and that I might get better one day.
    I don't think it's good to 'like' them but they make you who you are and one day they make you realize that you managed all those things and managed life. It's not messed up!

8. drkangl

drkangl Active Member

thanks june, it does help to know that there are others out there who have thought the same kinds of thoughts about the scars they have. i don't really "like" them they are just reminders of where ive been.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.