Are people using Covid as an excuse for being shit?

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
There seem to be so many businesses/professionals using Covid as an excuse to cut services. Can't use cash in shops any more. Can't try clothes on in shops. Banks closing earlier. Even our refuse collection has been reduced.

And then the latest.. There have been adverts on TV telling people that the NHS is open as normal as many people aren't going to their GP's with problems. My mum has had a small lump on her chest for months and not told anyone. But the last few weeks it's grown to the size of a golf ball, turned red and crusty and is extremely painful. She finally decided she needed to see a doctor about it. But our GP surgery wouldn't give her an appointment to see a doctor saying she had to have a telephone appointment (she's extremely deaf so phonecalls are a real problem for her). The doctor phoned and obviously couldn't see what the problem is over the phone. So he told her to take photos and email them. She's an 82 year old woman who doesn't have a computer or know how to use her mobile phone. She told him she didn't know how to do that and he told her she'd have to get someone to do it for her as she can't go into the doctors in person. It's ridiculous. Lots of elderly people don't have someone to do that for them so what do they do? Just ignore things?

There's absolutely no reason why she couldn't see a doctor in person. He really can't tell what this is by a couple of fuzzy photos taken on my phone. He is right, it is probably a cyst but he can't tell from a photo. I was told my breast lump was a cyst and it would probably just go away on its own. If I hadn't eventually gone to see a different doctor I'd be dead by now.

I'm mad as hell and if you've got to the bottom of this you deserve a medal.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
i'm so sorry she's treated like this. about the best thing to do is go to the emergency room. i hope it's nothing serious but she needs to see a doctor immediately to be sure. if it is serious you only have a small window to detect. i hope your mom gets the help she needs and fully recovers...mike...*hug*console*shake

Harmony

SF Supporter
I agree, there is no way to make a reliable dx from a picture and this is definitely something that needs to be evaluated in person.
In general, I've found that some doctors (not all) treat the elderly as if they are expendable and I think in the current climate this is amplified tenfold. This Dr didn't even take into account the capabilities of your mom for starters which certainly is dismissive in and of itself. While I'm glad she has you to advocate for her, as you said, not everybody has someone to do this. It's not ok to be negligent and dismissive of people and their health, I don't care how old they are or how much money someone has.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
My god, what a disgrace. Sounds like the NHS is locking the door and lowering the blinds in the hopes that all the sick people go away, because they're too incompetent to come up with common sense procedures to safely do their jobs. What's the use of having a health service if it panics and shuts down every time a virus appears. This really pissed me off. Sorry Sun, I hoped your mother is able to get some help with this.

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
That is horrible!

I don't understand why the NHS is doing this. I mean, the US has had its fair share of Covid, surely as much or more than the UK?

I had an appointment with my GP yesterday for a nasty ear infection and the only things that were different was everybody was wearing a mask and they took out half of the chairs in the waiting room to distance. Everything else was as normal.

I'd be mad as hell too if they treated an elderly loved one that way. Or any elderly person for that matter.

Prayers for your mom.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
The stupid thing is that they're doing blood tests etc as normal, just have to wear a mask and wait outside in the car park rather than in the waiting room so I really can't understand why the doctor wouldn't see her.

I phoned this morning and very firmly told them that someone needed to actually look at it and low and behold they were suddenly able to book her in to see someone. She think it is a cyst but it looks infected so she's been given antibiotics and an appointment to go back next week to get it checked again.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
The stupid thing is that they're doing blood tests etc as normal, just have to wear a mask and wait outside in the car park rather than in the waiting room so I really can't understand why the doctor wouldn't see her.

I phoned this morning and very firmly told them that someone needed to actually look at it and low and behold they were suddenly able to book her in to see someone. She think it is a cyst but it looks infected so she's been given antibiotics and an appointment to go back next week to get it checked again.
good i'm glad they're looking at it...mike...*hug*shake

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter

I read the OP yesterday and it angered me a lot for them to ask an 82 year old woman to do all this tech stuff when they know damn well 82 year olds are not tech savvy, and the fact they would not see her??? *grr, I am glad you stood up to them. Kudos to you. May your mother get well soon, lotsa hugs and well wishes *hug

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00