Ideas & Opinions Are Pets BETTER than human companions?

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
Even though Cows are not specifically pets per se but they are animals so I felt this news report appropriate.
In Aksaray, Turkey, one family has been raising cattle for three generations. Izzet Kocak believes their success is linked to their willingness to keep up with modern technology. To that end, the farmer is testing virtual reality goggles that make his cows think they're standing in a green field of grass in the summer.
Kocak says the average yield per day from his cows is 22 liters, but,"We had two of our cows wear virtual reality glasses and watch vast green pasture all day, and the daily milk production increased up to 27 liters.
He said milk quality also increased. He ordered 10 more pairs of VR goggles, and if results are similar, he plans to order them for all his 180 cows.

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Even though Cows are not specifically pets per se but they are animals so I felt this news report appropriate.
In Aksaray, Turkey, one family has been raising cattle for three generations. Izzet Kocak believes their success is linked to their willingness to keep up with modern technology. To that end, the farmer is testing virtual reality goggles that make his cows think they're standing in a green field of grass in the summer.
Kocak says the average yield per day from his cows is 22 liters, but,"We had two of our cows wear virtual reality glasses and watch vast green pasture all day, and the daily milk production increased up to 27 liters.
He said milk quality also increased. He ordered 10 more pairs of VR goggles, and if results are similar, he plans to order them for all his 180 cows.
Wow! Got to love the creativity genius in this idea. Hope it works for him. Perhaps that’s what we all need to do! Live in a VR world. We could all go to the places we wish we were and bring our stress levels down. :D Xx

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
I need the intellectual stimulation that comes with human companionship. And the kind of emotional and nuance and complexity such relationships bring.

But, when I’m hurting or afraid or anxious and want comfort, I’d rather have my dogs.

Saint Rita

Believe in yourself!
The answer to this question IMO is yes and no...

Some pets are better companions than humans and some human are better companions that pets.

Winslow

SF Supporter
Police in Japan have been working for months to figure out why a light pole in Suzuka suddenly snapped at its base.
Most light poles in the country last for 50 years or more, but this one was only 23 years old.
NBC New York reported on Oct. 1 that forensic scientists found 40 times more urea at the pole's base than was found on nearby poles. Yep, dog pee killed the light pole. The urea and sodium in dog urine caused the pole to erode.
The new pole is up, but dogs are already marking it with their caustic streams.
Don't get me wrong, this is not a criticism against dogs at all, but instead an expression of gratitude for providing entertainment. Thank you to those dogs!

Winslow

SF Supporter
Seems that dogs and cats are the best companions, certainly better than the owl seen in the following news report.
Residents over the city of SeaTac, Washington, are on high alert about a "very aggressive owl" at North SeaTac Park, KIRO-TV reported. The bird, likely a barred or great horned owl, hasn't injured anyone, yet, but officials say people visiting the park should "wave their arms slowly overhead to keep the birds at a distance. Other protective actions include wearing a hat or helmet, or carrying an umbrella."
Chase Gunnell with the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife also noted that the owls will typically hoot repeatedly before attacking.

Unenthusiastic

It has been said very often that Pets give Unconditional love. Does that make them better than human companions? Of course they cannot speak, but they can still communicate in other ways. Do you yourself live in a situation where you have a marked preference for the pet you have as a companion?
Well, they woof and meow, so I assume them to be better than us.

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
There's something about talking to a friend about a bad day, maybe venting to a friend is a better term. Telling friends about something exciting, good, or funny that just happened. In that sense having humans in my life is a thing I want. I didn't think I did for a long time. I discovered I can't do too many people, I have to keep my bubble small, I deeply care about the people I let in and I can only I'd rather have 5 people I can deeply care about truly than 50 people I can sort of keep track of.

Now my cats are also a part of my family. On a bad day, they seem to know and come snuggle up or even give hugs. They are here day to day and I would not trade them for anything. I can't imagine life without them.

For me, I need both.

Unenthusiastic

There's something about talking to a friend about a bad day, maybe venting to a friend is a better term. Telling friends about something exciting, good, or funny that just happened. In that sense having humans in my life is a thing I want. I didn't think I did for a long time. I discovered I can't do too many people, I have to keep my bubble small, I deeply care about the people I let in and I can only I'd rather have 5 people I can deeply care about truly than 50 people I can sort of keep track of.

Now my cats are also a part of my family. On a bad day, they seem to know and come snuggle up or even give hugs. They are here day to day and I would not trade them for anything. I can't imagine life without them.

For me, I need both.
I would pet them, lol.

Livelife

SF Supporter
Dogs are what I have right now so they have to be the choice. But I would love to have humans to have tea and walks and sharing and fun with.

Winslow

SF Supporter
As of September 20th.In Alameda County, California, you may no longer engage in Wild Cow Milking. As of September 20th, the event often seen at rodeos in the area is illegal. In case you're not a rodeo fan, wild cow milking involves two people who try to corral a loose cow and then extract milk from her udders.
"Animals don't get a chance to speak. Who speaks for them?" asked county supervisor Richard Valle, who introduced the ordinance.
Another supervisor thought the state or federal government should regulate wild cow milking.

I love my cats, though I can't exactly play video games with them nor have in-dept conversations. In some sense, though, pets are better as they'll never violate my trust. Plus, I just don't get along with people well. Though, it would be nice to have some non-toxic human-to-human interaction for once.

I love my cats sooooo much. Maybe too much. I think I have so much loneliness and depression inside that humans can never fix. Whereas when I put my face in my kitties' fur and feel their warmth and hear them purr, it just heals something in my heart. I love my husband and I'm grateful for my human friends but sometimes my pain is beyond talking and I just need my cats.

I think humans would be much more cuddly if we had fur.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00