Are Pita Chips a healthier alternative to chips?

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
There’s these Pita chips at the grocery store - I’m forgetting the name of the brand, but they’ve got all kinds of flavors: but the one I usually get is called, “naked!” And I’m guessing it’s because they didn’t put any ruin on them - (save, perhaps, some light salt. . ; ))~

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
Technically, a much healthier alternative to chips is not eating chips. But for the sake of the topic, if pita chips are healthier, I would think that it's probably not by much. Pretzels are probably healthier than chips. And vegetables are healthier than all of the above.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
Come on, though. No one really eats "just 10 chips" (the serving size). I would say that most people would probably eat 3, 4, 5 times that amount, which would then equal anywhere from 390 calories to 650. That's a lot for a snack. So yeah, unless you literally eat 10 chips and stop, looks as though it's not so healthy.

Also, from what I just researched, 15 plain lays chips are 170 calories, and 17 told gold hard pretzels are 160 calories. So not really much of a difference between any of them.

Last edited:

LonelyHiker

Incidental aka FairWeather™
SF Supporter
Imho, it's better to ditch processed foods altogether.
To be fair, not all processed foods are bad. Milk, bread and eggs are all processed, as are dried fruit, nuts and yogurt. The key is reading nutrition labels carefully and keeping an eye on triglycerides, trans fats (and other bad fats), sodium, preservatives and the like...

I agree though that processed foods should be a very limited part of any diet.

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
Come on, though. No one really eats "just 10 chips" (the serving size). I would say that most people would probably eat 3, 4, 5 times that amount, which would then equal anywhere from 390 calories to 650. That's a lot for a snack. So yeah, unless you literally eat 10 chips and stop, looks as though it's not so healthy.

Also, from what I just researched, 15 plain lays chips are 170 calories, and 17 told gold hard pretzels are 160 calories. So not really much of a difference between any of them.
Ahhh... “Yes!” This is precisely why I posted it — for others more ‘nutritionally-informed’ than I could see for themselves (& then make up their own minds!) _but you’re right: can’t eat any less than a full bag ~regardless of size (& the one I usually get is I think a lot bigger than that one ☝️!) might get stale - und food poisoning; & who know’s what^else~*•

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
To be fair, not all processed foods are bad. Milk, bread and eggs are all processed, as are dried fruit, nuts and yogurt. The key is reading nutrition labels carefully and keeping an eye on triglycerides, trans fats (and other bad fats), sodium, preservatives and the like...

I barely even know what process foods are! ;) if there’s going to be a quiz, please make it, “multiple-guess!” :D

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter

Forgive my ignorance, but why are those considered processed? I just usually go by calories.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00